Boise, ID Fall Show

Mark Aldrich

Although we've only used them out of necessity at Jaxcon, I've always found round tables for contests to be very good. They easily define a category, as it's usually all one category on one table, and they're easy to move around as a spectator or a judge.

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

I had a great time at the Boise show, their first one.

I also brought up the round tables at the after show club meeting I attended. Found out some interesting items. First, the venue was free, yes, free. How many shows can say that. The tables were what the church had available so no additional costs to rent tables. As an attendee this worked out great. $5 entry fee for as many models as you wanted to bring (just know Dem Brudders eyes lit up when they saw that and they definitely came through), vendors tables were $10. Even I couldn't resist that and packed up 8 boxes of kits in the back of my Elantra. Even managed to sell more than I bought (including the entry and table fees). Also, no cost for joe public to come in and see the show.

There were only 39 entrants but they managed to put 400+ models on the tables and kept the organizers busy bringing out new tables to add models to. Judges Grand was a scratchbuilt USS St. Louis which was lovely and the People's Choice went to a Monogram 1/48th B-58 Hustler in camo.

I saw several guys up from SLC in support but didn't meet anyone from Washington or Canada which I thought might come over. I did however meet a nice couple from England who were over on holiday. OK, I was the one who mentioned I would be at the show in Boise and they adjusted their travel itinerary to meet up with me. Mike (an ex Royal Marine) kept handing Margaret a couple kits to take out to the car and after a while she had to let him know that the backseat was filling up and they still had to find a way to get them back home.

So, to Brian and the rest of the Mad Dogs. Was a great little show and I look forward to the next one you guys do.