The Wolfchen

WWIM

One of the most amazing, yet little known stories from WWI is the voyage of the German raider, the Cruiser "Wolf. Captained by Kark Nerger, the Wolf was at sea for 444 straight days without ever putting into port, traveled more than 64,000 miles (equaling three circumnavigations of the earth!), through three oceans laying mines in numerous ports, sinking or damaging some 30 Allied ships, while taking on all their crews and passengers. Somehow the Wolf managed to evade the combined navies of Britain, France, Japan, Australia and the United States, and put back into port at Kiel, Germany after 15 months at sea. One of the features of the converted freighter was a seaplane that could be wenched over the side and used for air reconnaissance. Piloted by Flight-Leutnant Paul Fabeck, with his observer, Leutnant Matthaus Stein, the seaplane was dubbed the "Wolfchen" - the Wolf Cub (or Little Wolf). The plane was the Friedrichshafen FF.33e. The kit is Techmod's 1:48 scale offering of this interesting aircraft, with decals for the "Wolfchen". I used additional PE from Parts. The base is a depiction of the journey of the Wolf across the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. (BTW, if you are interested in this amazing chapter of WWI history, I recommend the book "The Wolf" by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen. It is an extremely well-written account of this amazing voyage.)

post-1741-0-15985300-1444842297_thumb.jpg

post-1741-0-77536900-1444842302_thumb.jpg

post-1741-0-23508900-1444842307_thumb.jpg

post-1741-0-55919900-1444842311_thumb.jpg

post-1741-0-66509800-1444842317_thumb.jpg

post-1741-0-13298500-1444842322_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWIM
  • Like 2

Nicely done Joe! Incredible the amount of use this particular A/C experienced. I bought this kit last year and hope to get to it soon but I think I'm going to find a scheme using lozenge decals. Were there any points to watch out for during assembly?

Tanks,

Thanks Doc... the build is not too difficult. I would recommend investing in the the PE set from Part of Poland (although may be difficult to find). Detail is excellent and the fit is good, expecially the critical undercarriage. There will be a lot of rigging detail, as to be expected with a large biplane, but it is a must. I used EZ line and turnbuckles from Gas Patch models.

Cool! Great lookin' model and yet another wild, WWI German Navy story. Was familiar with those of the Seeadler and the Emden, but had not heard of the Wolf.