September/October issue of the Journal

ClareWentzel

Just received my issue of the Journal. Great job. The photos of the winning models were spectacular. Also, as always, I enjoyed the column by "Dem Brudders". Lots of good photos in the column including good ones of Mark Deliduka and Scott Bregi. Great issue.

Mine arrived in Sherwood, Oregon today (Oct 14) also. Very pleased with the photo coverage. Thank you to the Journal staff for another fine edition. Now I need to find the post from months ago where Ralph Forehand was asking if anyone got pictures of the Annual award winners with the answer being yes--just look on Page 20.

Got it today in CA.

One minor criticism, I'd love to seen the name of the kit manufacturer listed with the winning entries. In many cases, we'd like to get that kit, and two, if someone started with a truly poopy kit, we'd appreciate their efforts a lot more.

Edited by Gromit801

• 2 weeks later...

Gents:

At this point, we do not track the kit manufacturer anywhere expect on the local paperwork. We talked about it and the manufacturers thought it would be interesting but that's as far as its gotten

Dave

Two points here....

1) I tried this for fun, going through the a/c categories and I was able to figure out (mostly) what kit was used without too much trouble, especially in 1/48 and 1/32. The bottom line of the analysis is this: most of the builders (75%+) started with one of the best kits of that subject available. This makes sense, since it generally means you'll have less of a fight on your hands to get the result you want.

2) While knowing exactly what kit a builder won with sounds nice, it's not especially helpful. I know I can buy the best canvas, brushes, and oil paints available; but that doesn't mean I can get the same results as Rembrandt did! Winning is a matter of talent, patience, persistence, and experience; with a little bit of luck thrown in, and some builders have this is greater amounts than we "also-rans".

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges