Another carrier completed!

ghodges

002_9.jpg

This is the old Revell 1/547 Midway, built as the FDR, primarily OOTB.

004_5.jpg

All of the deck markings are painted except for the #42s. The yellow dashes were each masked off (and there's almost 200 of 'em!), which took almost an hour to do.

007_3.jpg

009_5.jpg

The one area I "stretched my modeling legs" was on the bottom. The kit gives you 2 rudders, but NO propellers! So, I used Milliput epoxy putty to form the prop shaft housings, blending them into the bottom of the hull. The 4 props were also scratchbuilt using missile noses and punched sheet plastic discs.

010_4.jpg

I finished the model to match a couple of other built examples I found on line, as well as one color pic from the FDR's launching. I like the way it looks, but cannot vouch for any accuracy at all.

I'm much happier with this one as compared to the Saratoga, but then this was a nicer kit to start and I had one carrier under my belt, so to speak, so it should have come out better. Most importantly, it's ready in time to go to the museum tomorrow, I knocked out another build in less than 2 weeks, and I had FUN!

Comments welcome, as always! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Nice build and nice props, not the easiest thing to do. What museum, may I ask?

Thanks,

Skip

There's a small local museum in Jacksonville Beach that's doing a tribute to the 75th anniversary of Mayport Naval Station. We've supplied ship models and aircraft models from WWII til now to represent what was based there, used there, and that flew from the carriers based out of Mayport.

Here's a pic of the WWII/Postwar case with the FDR in it:

Mayport%2075%20yrs%20WWII%20case.jpg

Thanks for the info. Might be able to get by there some future time and see some nice models in person.

Skip

The display will run through Jan-Feb of next year, if I recall correctly. The museum may ask us to create a permanent, rotating model display after that depending on how this display is received by the public.