78th Fis F-86 ?

TimDarrah

I spent 5 1/2 years in the 78th TFS/AMU, the longest I was ever with one unit during my 20 years in the USAF; so I'm trying to build a model of every type of aircraft they flew. I've seen a history that the 78th FIS flew the F-86 but can't find any photos/info of them. Might anyone out there have a photo, or know where I can look? I've already contacted the NASM & USAFM for info, but that'll be weeks away when I get info, if they have any.

Thanks,

What was their parent wing and what was the time frame? 78th was part of USAFE wasn't it? IIRC Squadron did some books from that era and for USAFE. I'd also look for any and all books on the Sabre to see if there are any shots in passing. I had similar problems with other aircraft for a couple of units I was assigned to but it all worked out in the end.

Tim, you're having the same difficulties with the 78FIS/FBS that I'm having with the three Squadrons of the 23FW post-war--specifically, finding photos from their FIS and Air Division days before Project Arrow tried to bring the original squadrons back to their original parent Wings and Groups....

The only things I've found so far are posted below. I've highlighted one passage in bold italics:

---------------------------------------

From the Wikipedia entry on RAF Shepherd's Grove:

USAF use

After World War II F-86A Sabres of the United States Air Force 116th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron were stationed there in August 1951. The 116th FIS was a mobilized Air National Guard squadron from Washington State assigned to the newly-activated 81st Fighter-Bomber Wing. In September the 91st and 92d FIS arrived at Shepherds Grove from Moses Lake AFB, Washington to complete the complement of squadrons assigned to the 81st FBW.

The 81st FBW however, did not stay at Shepherds Grove long, moving Wing Headquarters to RAF Bentwaters in late September 1951, and relocating the 91st FIS with them. The 116th FIS returned to state control in November 1952 and was replaced by the 78th FIS. With the move of the 81st FBW headquarters to Bentwaters, the 7519th Air Base Squadron was the administrative USAFE host unit.

In mid-1953, the 78th and 92d FIS upgraded their F-86A models to F-86F's, in preparation for the arrival of the F-84F "Thunderstreak" in April 1954. With the arrival of the F-84s, the squadrons names were changed to Fighter-Bomber squadron.

Markings of the 78th FIS F-84s were a three-beamed, black-trimmed red sunburst design. The 92d covered almost the entire vertical stabilizer above the horizontal stabilizer with yellow, with a diagonal line.

In March 1955 the 92d FIS was reassigned to the 406th Fighter-Interceptor Wing at RAF Manston and re-equipped with F-86Ds but remained at Shepherds Grove. In September 1955, the 87th was redesignated the 512th FIS.

The 78th FIS moved to RAF Sculthorpe in May 1956. The 78th briefly returned to Shepherds Grove in May 1957 before leaving for good to RAF Woodbridge in December 1958 when the USAF turned Shepherds Grove to the Ministry of Defence.

------------------------

Also, this from globalsecurity:

After an eight-year lapse, the squadron was redesignated the 78th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron and activated Nov. 1, 1952, at Royal Air Force Station Shepherds Grove, England. The squadron absorbed the members of the 116th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, an Air National Guard unit which reverted to state control, and began flying F-86 aircraft. In April 1954, the squadron, flying F-84s, was redesignated a fighter-bomber squadron. The 78th operated from Royal Air Force Station Sculthorpe, England, from May 1956 until May 1957, when it returned to Shepherds Grove. The squadron was redesignated as a tactical fighter squadron in July 1958, and began flying F-101 aircraft from Royal Air Force Station Woodbridge, England.

-------------------------------------------

So, if the F-84's had the red sunburst, perhaps the F-86's did too--according to globalsecurity, if the 78th did indeed absorb the assets of the 116th when the latter was returned to State control perhaps the paint scheme is a legacy from that unit. It also appears that the unit flew both F-86A and F-86F models....

I'll add the 78th to 74, 75, and 75FIS on my dig list and let you know what I find.

Ralph

The 78th was part of the 81st FIW at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge.

I found a photo in the F-86 in Action of two 81st FIW F-86s, one each from the 91st (blue) and 92nd (yellow). Both had the squadron colour in 2 lightning bolts on the tail and a flash on the forward fueslage with the Squadron patch just aft of the zig-zag. So I'm thinking that the 78th would be the same but in red.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hold da boat Tim.....

According to SqSig "Fighting Colors": USAF in Europe '48-'65 (vol.1); the 116FIS was renumbered the 78FIS in the 81rst FIW in 1952. At this time, ALL a/c colors were replaced with yellow bands edged in black on the tail (fin?) and wings (it doesn't specify). This sounds very similar to markings in Korea at the time. It also says that the sq. colors were crried on a band on the nose, behind the intake ring and ahead of the gun panels. Again, it doesn't specify if the colors were plain, outlined, had stars, or whatever. Squadron badges were sometimes carried on both sides, as was a small version of US AIR FORCE mid-fuselage on both sides.

The book doesn't have a side view rendering of the 78th F-86's (but it does have a lot of their F-84s!) Perhaps you might find a pic that you've missed up til now, based on the above a/c discription. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

That might be easier to do. Thanks Gil.

That's what I needed. Thanks.