Airfix City of Truro

Ron Bell

This is another of Airfix's railroad engines. The City of Truro was, reportedly, the first vehicle of any type to exceed 100 mpg. That should have sent some top hats flying! It's OOTB with the exception of the load of coal in the tender and the railing around the boiler. These kits are interesting builds. Not too easy as there are many working parts and many are interconnected and they make attractive displays when completed.

DSCN4201.jpg

DSCN4202.jpg

DSCN4205.jpg

DSCN4206.jpg

DSCN4207.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good, Ron.

That kit came to Airfix via Rosebud Kitmaster, who had a great series of engines, coaches, and such. I've been focused more on the rolling stock but have all sorts of engines in the stash, with the 8' Stirling making the most "build me" noise.

• 1 month later...

Good looking job, on an interesting subject (another something I had no idea about--sigh)

Edited by PropDuster

That is a fantastic build Ron! I love railroad subjects myself. I'm trying to build a most comprehensive 1/72 scale collection of railroad subjects myself. This is certainly a most attractive display. Way to go!

• 6 years later...

Dapol now manufacture all the old Kitmaster/Airfix locos and rolling stock, and also  the old Airfix trackside accessories and buildings. So all are still obtainable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Noel, Dapol does not do "all" the old Rosebud/Kitmaster line - only about 8 survived to go to Airfix, most of the rest were destroyed - in particular the ones of interest to me.  City of Truro was one that survived.

This article is very useful in that regard:  http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/CollectorsClub.htm

• 1 year later...

I returned to this thread after a long absence. You are quite right John, a number of the old Kitmasters did not resurface under Dapol.

I can remember Kitmaster making the General that I built years ago. I can remember a Beyer Garratt and some European Steam Locomotives being done. 

It appears that Dapol were only interested in the British Railways items. It would be interesting to learn about what happened to the rest.

Ron Bell has made an excellent City of Truro locomotive from what I could see where Photobucket screwed his pictures up!