F/A-18/F-18 (from REVELL - 1:48 "Yeager's fighters" Series)

TGarthConnelly

Hi All,

Do any of you remember that special series from Revell back in the 80s? It had a F-15 "Tiger Meet", F-16 "Tiger Meet" and a F-18 (the box says F-18) in a black/white Playboy Bunny scheme from VX-4 at Pax River. Back in the early 2000s (2005/2006) - I had the F-15 built as a 15 of the 101st FIS of the 102 FIW from Otis ANGB. But, I created my own decals for the pilot's name (me, because I can't be a fighter pilot because of my Cerebral Palsy) and nose art. I have the F-18 kit as well.

I'm getting ready to have my guy build it soon. I dug it out of of the stash. But, the instructions were gone. I went on Revell's site and downloaded instructions for a F/A-18C. Do you guys know if the "Yeager's Fighters" F-18 is a F/A-18A or C? Additionally, would you guys know if anyone makes a cockpit, ejection seat and canopy for a 1:48 F/A-18?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Roktman,

I'll look into those seats on Amazon, they're a good price! But, my kit is a single-seater, not a two-seater ... that canopy won't work.

The Revell kit in the black/white scheme (NATC, not VX-4, by the way) from back then was Revell's own tooling, and is NOT the same kit as boxed by Revell today. The current kit began as the Monogram tooling back in the 80s, and is quite different from the Revell tooling so downloading the instructions won't really help you much. Monogram's kit was much more detailed overall than Revell's.

Having said that, since the only single-seat Hornets around when that kit was tooled were the FSD prototypes and the F-18A models, the kit is one of those. The major differences between the FSD and the production versions are the lack of a dogtooth on the wing leading edge and lack of the long LEX slots between the LEX and fuselage under the cockpit on the production airplanes. The FSD airplanes originally had a dogtooth on the wing leading edge at the fold joint (like one sees on the current FA-18E/F Super Hornets), a dogtooth on the stabilizer leading edge that was filled in early on in the program, and slots between the LEX and the forward fuselage that ran most of the length of the LEX. Production versions have a much smaller LEX slot, just above and slightly forward of the intake.