B-24H "Bangin Lulu"

kpatterson

I built this B-24H on commission for an old friend of my Dad's who recently turned 90. He was a navigator with the 446th BG (Heavy). This was one of the aircraft he flew some missions in. This model was presented to him at his surprise birthday party. He was over joyed to say the least.

The kit is 1/72 Hasegawa. I used CMK resin wheels and cockpit enhancement set (instrument panel and seats) I fabricated all of the throttle and mixture levers with tiny strips of extra brass from a photo-etch fret and small drops of white glue. The engines were wired with fine 0.012" wire. Kieth Davidson from Red Pegasus Decals did the amazing nose art and tail codes and serial numbers from pictures provided to him. If you ever need a custom decal for a project for aircraft, car, ship or whatever, he is the man. He is reasonably priced and delivers in a timely fashion.

The finish was done with various shades of Alclad II and model master enamels. All staining and streaks were done with a thin mix of black, gray and tan through my Iwata Custom Micron. The display base is just a pre-made wooden plaque from hobby lobby stained black. The tarmac section is scribed 0.060" sheet styrene. The name plate was laser engraved by my buddy at Pittsburgh Engravers (www.pittsburghengravers.com).

Enjoy the pics...

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Ken

Edited by kpatterson
  • Like 3

Dang Ken!! What a nice job on that small scale beauty! I just don't know how you guys do all this detailed work on these 72nd scale projects. Totally mind blowing work here!!! emotion-21.gifemotion-21.gifemotion-21.gifemotion-21.gifemotion-21.gif

Nice work, Ken! I'm working on a B-24 myself.

Happy Modeling,

Mark

It may have been a long time coming to a 90 year old member of "the greatest generation," but the work on and presentation of the B-24H model are outstanding. One of my friends is 96 and a Navy veteran of WWII and Korea. His ships have no model kits, unfortunately.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Joseph, it is 1/72 but this thing still has an 18 inch wingspan!

Kevin, when we presented it to him he was overwhelmed with emotion he broke into tears.

Ken

Edited by kpatterson
  • Like 2