Question about 1:144 and 1:72 kits

TGarthConnelly

Hi All .........

Are there 1:144 kits of a PBY (specifically a 'Black Cat') and a B-17 or a B-24? Additionally, are there 1:72 kits of a F-7F Tigercat, P-59 Airacomet, P-38 Nightfighter and F-86E Sabre?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi, Tim,

B-17G Flying Fortress: Minicraft #14401, Academy #4401, Minicraft #14519

B-24J Liberator: Minicraft #14402

B-24D Liberator: Minicraft #14636

PBY-5A Catalina "Black Cat": Minicraft 14518

All 1/144th scale. Some of these may also exist as reissues under different stock numbers. Check the Minicraft website.

Others will have to help with the 1/72nd scale kits.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

So, would these be late war versions?

B-17G Flying Fortress: Minicraft #14401, Academy #4401, Minicraft #14519

B-24J Liberator: Minicraft #14402

And, the Black Cats were PBY-5As?

I'm not Ed, but yes, to all three. B-17G was the one with the chin turret, same for the B-24J and the PBY-5 was a later war bird with the big tail and bubble fuselage domes.

I can answer some of this. Monogram made an F7F Tigercat in 1/72 scale; I built it. I'm not sure whether it's still in production, but there are kits still out there. The F86 E I believe is out there too; I just can't remember what company makes it. Possibly Hasegawa or Fujimi. I want to say that Frog or Hawk came out with the P-59 decades ago, but I can't be sure. I don't think anyone came out with a night fighter version of the P-38 in 1/72 scale.

I doubt I helped very much, but maybe these suggestions and guesses will give you some lines of research to follow to be certain. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and sources will be along shortly to confirm my info or refute it.

Hi, Tim,

The Minicraft/Academy B-17G models have the Cheyenne tail turret, so that would make them late war. The windows for the waist gunners are merely scribed into the fuselage, but they are opposing rather than staggered (an easy fix).

The B-24J was near the last production version in WWII. The kit mentioned above has the markings of a formation assembly ship with bright colorful stripes.

The PBY-5A kit #14518 from Minicraft is specifically a "Black Cat" as identified on the box. The kit is molded in black plastic to help those who do not want to paint it black. The kit does have the wheels in the fuselage sides, so it is a PBY-5A.

Good luck on your search.

Ed

Garth, have you turned to the dark side? You're really doing something besides PT boats?! :smiley16:

Keep us updated as you find kits, I've still got thousands in the storage unit. (Gotta unbox and sort them once the temps fall below 80 regularly so we don't sweat out.) I do remember seeing an F7F (monogram) and F-86E (Hasegawa w/ JASDF markings) when we packed up after our last show. Dragon made a P-38M Night Lightning in 1/72, for the P-59 you have a choice of a pair from Amodel ($30ish) and another pair from Special Hobby ($25ish) - and I would recommend the Special Hobby kits as I have seen them built and looking great.

I can answer some of this. Monogram made an F7F Tigercat in 1/72 scale; I built it. I'm not sure whether it's still in production, but there are kits still out there. The F86 E I believe is out there too; I just can't remember what company makes it. Possibly Hasegawa or Fujimi. I want to say that Frog or Hawk came out with the P-59 decades ago, but I can't be sure. I don't think anyone came out with a night fighter version of the P-38 in 1/72 scale.

I doubt I helped very much, but maybe these suggestions and guesses will give you some lines of research to follow to be certain. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and sources will be along shortly to confirm my info or refute it.

Thank you Mark. You have helped ...

• Like 1

Hi, Tim,

The Minicraft/Academy B-17G models have the Cheyenne tail turret, so that would make them late war. The windows for the waist gunners are merely scribed into the fuselage, but they are opposing rather than staggered (an easy fix).

The B-24J was near the last production version in WWII. The kit mentioned above has the markings of a formation assembly ship with bright colorful stripes.

The PBY-5A kit #14518 from Minicraft is specifically a "Black Cat" as identified on the box. The kit is molded in black plastic to help those who do not want to paint it black. The kit does have the wheels in the fuselage sides, so it is a PBY-5A.

Good luck on your search.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks! So, the B-17G ... could that be painted in NMF with D-Day stripes and nose-art? The same question can be asked about the B-24J ... Glad to hear that the PBY you talked about is a Black Cat.

Garth, have you turned to the dark side? You're really doing something besides PT boats?! :smiley16:

Keep us updated as you find kits, I've still got thousands in the storage unit. (Gotta unbox and sort them once the temps fall below 80 regularly so we don't sweat out.) I do remember seeing an F7F (monogram) and F-86E (Hasegawa w/ JASDF markings) when we packed up after our last show. Dragon made a P-38M Night Lightning in 1/72, for the P-59 you have a choice of a pair from Amodel ($30ish) and another pair from Special Hobby ($25ish) - and I would recommend the Special Hobby kits as I have seen them built and looking great.

Who? Me? Surely you jest. And, stop calling me Shirley...

I just like the 17 and 24 as well as the F-7F, P-38, P-59 and F-86 ...

Regarding PTs, go down to SHIPS and see the post I posted last evening - it MIGHT redeem me in your eyes after my dalliance to the dark side.

• Like 2

Yes, all three B-17G kits are molded in aluminum (silver) plastic, but I would overpaint them anyway. The B-24J kit is also molded in the same aluminum color plastic. You will need your own decals or masked artwork for D-Day stripes and nose art if you do not like what is in the kits.

Ed

IIRC, invasion stripes were not used on the 4-engine heavy bombers unless they had a special role (VIP transport?). The invasion stripes purpose was recognition by itchy-fingered ground/naval folks, you couldn't see stripes 15-20 thou overhead ...

Of course, I wasn't there, so ....

Edited by JohnRatzenberger

Hi Garth,

I think Airfix claims to have done a 1/72nd F-86E (they calle it an F-86F/E(M), but I'm not sure how accurate of an F-86E you could make).

John mentioned invasion stripes and they were only a limited time feature, officially, anyway. I think the order removing them came out in August or September 1944 (but don't quote me on that!).

Enjoy!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I just went on your club's gallery and saw your models in the gallery section. I've got to tell ya, ... I like your 47, 51 and your Spitfires and that P-36.

Tim

Revell did the 38...

rp38bt.jpg

No problem ... Jim. I've always liked the P-36 ... Is/was there a 1:72 kit of one?

I'm having a guy (I can't build due to my Cerebral Palsy) build me a P-47N with sexy nose-art, the CHATAUQUA ... Should be done this week, but it is no way as good as your P-47, ... it was done OOB for one ... it is the HELLER 1:72 P-47N .... Our next project is the MOBIUS 1:32 TOS GALACTICA Viper as Starbuck's (the male Starbuck) Viper. That's because back in college (1978 -1983) I was called Starbuck (even to this day) ...

After that, a LINDBERG Air-Sea-Rescue-Boat, a MERIT early-Elco PT boat, a Hasegawa 1:72 F-106A and then, an ERTL USS ENTERPRISE (NCC-1701) and a MPC USS RELIANT (NCC-1864) and then, I might get a 1:72 P-38, a F-86 and a ME-262 ... I wish I could find a F7-F TIGERCAT (I love those).

Revell did the 38...

rp38bt.jpg

I loved this kit as a kid. I also did a blue one much later, F-something photo recon version. I bought the Dragon night fighter when it came out ages ago, but never got to it.

I have a question for you plane guys ...

P-47Ns, ... like CHATAUQUA, .... Did they have three antennas or just the one? The reason why I'm asking, ... the drawing on the instructions for the decals from KITSWORLD just show the one antenna, but I've seen photos of Ns with three antennas. What's correct? Also, the instructions show the bottom and the wings as blue and a really deep blue - and the photos of Ns seem to point to that they were NMF... Is that right?

Yeah, the Revell P-38 is a good kit, even includes an engine or two. I probably have an extra one here at the Crapatorium along with the later photo recon edition. The Dragon kit is a later different molding but it's a nightfighter. Comes in other varieties as well. Might have a MONOgram F7F as well.

Check this site:

http://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=grumman+f7f&qs=Search

I've plugged you in with the F7F, you can punch in any aircraft and see the manufacturers, scales, editions, etc. Great site!

hth!