What Do a You Miss?

Gromit801

John, despite the fact that I use all the modern technology...including ereaders and online shops...I agree with you in a lot of ways. Jim, scratchbuilding has suffered for many as the result of the aftermarket for many, but it's nowhere near dead. After all, it takes scratchbuilders to produce the patterns for the aftermarket products. What HAS suffered is the disappearance of scratchbuilt plans of ships and other subjects that used to be found in Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated. The plans were produced using the enlarging squares method. Robin, I know what you're saying. Not every kid on the block had the same kit because there weren't that many available to buy. Dave, I remember the days when I could sit down at a bench and build a 1/100 Tamiya kit...complete and ready for the showcase...in four or five hours and it looked pretty darn good. Today it takes five hours to open the box and go thru the parts.

Then why don't we all stop building physical, model kits, and just model them in 3D on our computers.

Because I can't physically hold a 3D computer model. Besides, the programming for that is beyond me.

I miss many of the same things you all do: Pactra Paints, being able to ride down to the local store to buy a model and still have enough for some candy or a soda; sitting with my friend or alone in my garage building a model that I'd be finished with in a few hours.

On the other hand, I am thrilled with the association and camaraderie I get being a member of my local IPMS club. I revel in the time I get to spend with other modelers on Hobby Day Fridays once a month just building models. I savor the moments I spend with friends I only see once every few years at a Nationals whenever I can attend them; or other friends I see at local model contests as well.

• Like 1

Amen to the Pactra paint, especially the Authentic International Colors. I discovered them just as they were being pulled from the market.

I miss being able to find model kits for sale almost everywhere you looked. I remember the Monogram 1/48 scale Do-335 for sale at the local Mr. Grocer convenience store, and seeing AMT kits at the local U-Tote-Em stop-and-robs...every drug store had a small section of kits, the local Albertson's supermarket had them, all of the 5-and10 stores had them, toy stores, discount stores, Sears even carried them...

Ralph

The bench, taken out of mothballs between college semesters, c.1980. Even without the suggestion, I know you guys will attempt to ID the kits...I did...

Bobs%20Man%20Cave%20c1981_zpsksugfhdk.jp

Edited by VonL
  • Like 1

Hi, Bob,

I'm checking out the Workmate by Black & Decker. I have one of those and still use it, mostly outdoors for clamping and cutting up downed tree branches. I also used it for holding (loosely) the 30" long 1/144 submarine hull from Trumpeter for painting outdoors with rattle cans.

Ed