Getti Tonanti

Ralph Nardone

Finished this a month or so ago:

f84f-s1.jpg

f84f-s2.jpg

f84f-p1.jpg

f84cockpit.jpg

f84f-bottom.jpg

Built out of box, although I did re-scribe the panel lines. NMF is 1 part Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver, 5 parts Future, and 50 parts 70% isopropyl alcohol shot over a base coat of Tamiya Superfine White primer. The trim color is a mix of Tamiya Park Green and Sky. The wing colors are the white primer, Testor Acryl Insignia Red, and Tamiya Park Green. Decals are from Superscale, with some revisions.

Ralph

I posted the Matrix kit a while back. Is this the pro modeler or standard issue? The paint scheme is really eye catching. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Chris

I posted the Matrix kit a while back. Is this the pro modeler or standard issue? The paint scheme is really eye catching. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Actually, this was a Revell AG issue from about 1999 or so. It was molded in silver-gray, which made the re-scribe easier. I sanded off the raised lines and followed the ghosts. I also sanded off the armor-plate refueling receptacle door while I had the sandpaper out. I still have an original issue kit (with the SEA Camo'd ANG airplane on the box top) and a Kinetic kit in the stash. While the Monogram kit isn't an easy build, I'll still take it over the Heller and Kinetic offerings--Heller's kit is real clunky, and the Kinetic kit has a screwed up intake (shape-wise) and that surface texture isn't conducive to NMF and will probably need work even for camo.

The story of this build follows many of my recent builds--I started the model in 2004, then had to put it away for a move. I dug the carcass out and painted the NMF, then had to pack it away for another move. The decal sheet got packed away, and I could not for the life of me remember where I out it. Fortunately, the wife remembered that I had stashed a bunch of decals away in a Classic Airframes Ro.57 that I purchased at the 2005 Atlanta Nats. Once I found the decals, I had to find some motivation....

The final insult was that I dropped the model after the photo shoot, breaking a stab off in the process. It is fixed now, but man....

I got laid off in March, so I figure now is the time to clean up the backlog on the bench whilst job-hunting. Next up is a Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E (in the paint booth), followed by a Revell AG 1/72 Go-229 (started sometime in 1994!) and a Trumpeter 1/35 Ariete that only needs paint, final assembly, and weathering.

Ralph

Nice unique choice of markings, looks wonderful. I have some Tamiya Titanium Silver squirreled away, so I might just try it on the Matchbox Canberra I'm working on.

Jim

Very nice work - a great choice of schemes also!

Thanks for posting!

Actually, this was a Revell AG issue from about 1999 or so. It was molded in silver-gray, which made the re-scribe easier. I sanded off the raised lines and followed the ghosts. I also sanded off the armor-plate refueling receptacle door while I had the sandpaper out. I still have an original issue kit (with the SEA Camo'd ANG airplane on the box top) and a Kinetic kit in the stash. While the Monogram kit isn't an easy build, I'll still take it over the Heller and Kinetic offerings--Heller's kit is real clunky, and the Kinetic kit has a screwed up intake (shape-wise) and that surface texture isn't conducive to NMF and will probably need work even for camo.

The story of this build follows many of my recent builds--I started the model in 2004, then had to put it away for a move. I dug the carcass out and painted the NMF, then had to pack it away for another move. The decal sheet got packed away, and I could not for the life of me remember where I out it. Fortunately, the wife remembered that I had stashed a bunch of decals away in a Classic Airframes Ro.57 that I purchased at the 2005 Atlanta Nats. Once I found the decals, I had to find some motivation....

The final insult was that I dropped the model after the photo shoot, breaking a stab off in the process. It is fixed now, but man....

I got laid off in March, so I figure now is the time to clean up the backlog on the bench whilst job-hunting. Next up is a Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E (in the paint booth), followed by a Revell AG 1/72 Go-229 (started sometime in 1994!) and a Trumpeter 1/35 Ariete that only needs paint, final assembly, and weathering.

Ralph

Sorry to hear about the job loss. Best of luck on finding another. With you on the Matrix texture. I had to sand the whole thing before I shot black base which went bad out on me ( part of the bad batch) so resand then shot Alclad on it. Other than that, enjoyed the build. Same with the Hobby Boss Mirage IIIC in 1/48. Just really got into them both. Thats a lot of work rescribing all those panels. The results speak for themselves.

Chris