Removing decals?

tom

I was decaling a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb and one of the decals got screwed up a bit. How do I remove it without having to sand it of and go through all the trouble again of painting and masking to camouflage and again putting on Future. i have tried to loosen with decal solvent Micro Set, didn't work. Someone suggested using Windex Window cleaner with ammonia, again didn't work. At the moment sanding seems to be the only option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I just took some decals off some corrugated wings......had to run my fingernail over the tape to make the tape contact the stuff in the bottom valleys of the corrugation.......but it worked well.

Just use a tacky tape. :smiley20:

I have used that trick several times...along with language that would make a sailor blush!!! :smiley9:

I tried the tacky tape. It took off about 95% of the decal. It still left some small pieces which I will probably have to sand off.

Sometimes you have to attack it several times.

• 2 months later...

Do you have any micromesh sanding pads or something equivalent? If so, try wet sanding with the 4000 grit one. This way you run less risk of removing paint.

Ken