MoonDevil Studio's Abominable Snowman

Roktman

Being a big fan of cryptozoology (yeah I'm that guy) goes perfectly with John Dennett's ongoing series of "Crypto Legends" kits. So far he's released The Jersey Devil, the Loch Ness Monster and the Abominable Snowman. At a recent Jersey Fest, I picked them all up, but dived right into the Snowman.

I gave the Snowman a first coat of primer, and then realized that I got carried away and should have assembled him first. DOH! Too anxious! So then next I drilled some holes for the 2 part epoxy. I saw another modeler's post that instead of adding pins to tabs he would drill holes into the tab as well as the corresponding female part. His theory was if you put enough epoxy into the female part then the epoxy will be forced into the drilled holes creating a well attached figure. It worked for him so I thought I would try it too. I did include a pin in one of the feet (that had no tab) for extra stability.

While I was priming I also primed the large base. The base is supposed to represent some rocks and snow. So I primed the rocks gray, and the snow - white. I will enhance the rocks with paint and then flock the snow part. But that's later.

008.JPG

009.JPG

Then I had to fill the seams. For this I used my indispensable Aves Apoxy Sculpt. I really enjoy filling seams of organic creatures much more than say planes etc... ;)

Came out like this - -
002.JPG
I did the inside of the mouth and glossed it all. I also got carried away and did the rest of the face. I then glossed the eyes (not sure it I like em) and epoxied the face to the body. Here he is so far - -
IMG_2862%2B(2).JPG
More later...
Thanks for lookin'
Edited by Roktman

While he was waiting he suffered a fall and the toes of one foot were taken off. Thank goodness the break was clean and I was able to reattach the toes with little or no hassle. I did notice what looked like a tiny stress crack in the leg and quickly fixed it with the Vallejo Plastic Putty. I'm really starting to like this stuff!

yeti02.JPG

yeti03.JPG

I also added another highlight coat to his fur. Afterward I gave his fur another mat coat to protect what I've done. If I learned nothing else from hanging out at The Clubhouse it is to protect my work. While the body was drying, I turned my attention to the base. The rocks have already been done in shades of gray, but to give it a cold feel I gave some shadows with Army Painter's Blue Tone. This stuff is a very nice wash. I'm anxious to try the others in a little set I bought. More on those at another time.
John Dennett, the sculptor for Moon Devil mentions he includes a little easter egg in some kits he does. This time around

- - spoiler alert - -

-he sculpted in a set of prayer beads used by the Nepalese monks.

yeti04.JPG

More soon...

Thanks for lookin'

Well, as with most of my models, I could tinker with them forever. So to combat that I've decided to call the Snowman done. The newer steps from where I left off was to paint the names on the base in Vallejo's Old Gold. This way it matches the red and gold of the Monk's prayer beads that are lying nearby in the snow. I then took Woodland Scenic's Snow and after applying thinned white glue, sprinkled a heavy coat in the snowy areas leaving the rocks clear for the most part. Out of the jar this snow is quite powdery, so I left it out of the footprint, as that snow would have been compresses and looking different.
Here's the finished model - -

yeti_2_7_003.JPG

yeti_2_7_002.JPG

yeti_2_7.jpg

Thanks for lookin'

I want to trick him with a Slim Jim!

Hehe be careful. It never seems to work out for the people with the Slim Jims. :D