A paint application issue I need to figure out

Eskemo

I CANNOT get that smooth paint application on aircraft that I see at shows or online. Mine is usually a little rough or grainy. Any advice? I normally use tamiya and model master acrylics.

Sounds like what is called "orange peel". Its caused by the paint either being too thick or the solvent partially evaporating between the airbrush and the surface, so the paint arrives partially dry. Try holding the brush a little closer to the surface. If this doesn't help, try thinning the paint a bit more. It's a balancing act between thinner, paint, air pressure and distance to the surface.

Eric:

What kind of paint are you using? Since you mentions alcohol, it sounds like acrylic so I suggest a little more alcohol. Depending on the paint, water may work. Let us know what type and we can have some comments. Also, don't forge to mix the paint really well before use

Dave

• Like 1

Practice on an old large wing. Under good light, spray so the paint "flows" together. Not a puddle, but thick enough to spread out as blob. Not scientific, but maybe you get the point.

Try the other things mentioned; thinning more, with the recommended thinner would be first, then check your air pressure. More than 12-15 PSI would be suspect to me.

• Like 1

Dave, I use model master acryl mostly and tamiya sometimes. When I do shoot I am realizing now my pressure is WAY too high! Around 20-30 psi. Yikes!

Dave, I know your name but not you personally. I attend the Kirkland show every year. I live in Mentor.

I will try this later, closer to the model, lower pressure and more thinner. This past weekend I contacted the John Glenn chapter and plan on attending the September meeting if I can. I am looking forward to it.

Eric,

I use Tamiya acrylics and have been thinning them with lacquer thinner for some time now. Give it a shot. I spray at 18 psi and thin the paint 50-50 paint to thinner. It sprays on smooooooooth!

Give it a shot.

dt