Republic Star Destroyer

This is actually the kit I started for 'National Model Day' some weeks back. I started by adding some more detail in the form of spare parts and photo etch pices from my stash of armor kits. Additionally, I drilled out all of the cannons to give a more realistic look. The base color is Floquil Lettering Gray with additional panel variances of Floquil Weathered Black and Lark Light Gray. It had been years since I did a sci fi kit and this was a nice break from 1000 + part armor kits. I must say, the Revell kit is very nice and the major sub assemblies are designed that major seams are hidden for the most part - makes the process of pre painting much easier. The color red I have used is Gunze 'Wine Red' which matches the red in the supplied decals perfectly. I still have quite a bit of work to do on this one.

DSC_2887.jpg

DSC_2898.jpg

DSC_2963.jpg

DSC_2967.jpg

DSC_2969.jpg

DSC_2974.jpg

DSC_2977.jpg

DSC_3020.jpg

DSC_3024.jpg

DSC_3027.jpg

This is actually the kit I started for 'National Model Day' some weeks back. I started by adding some more detail in the form of spare parts and photo etch pices from my stash of armor kits. Additionally, I drilled out all of the cannons to give a more realistic look. The base color is Floquil Lettering Gray with additional panel variances of Floquil Weathered Black and Lark Light Gray. It had been years since I did a sci fi kit and this was a nice break from 1000 + part armor kits. I must say, the Revell kit is very nice and the major sub assemblies are designed that major seams are hidden for the most part - makes the process of pre painting much easier. The color red I have used is Gunze 'Wine Red' which matches the red in the supplied decals perfectly. I still have quite a bit of work to do on this one.

DSC_2970.jpg

DSC_2973.jpg

DSC_2975.jpg

DSC_3030.jpg

DSC_3032.jpg

DSC_3034.jpg

DSC_3035.jpg

DSC_3037.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got a little more done on this one over the weekend - shot some future on the dorsal and ventral halves and applied decals - I've also masked off the ventral half of the ship to do some panel detail and the border stripe that follows around the edges of the underside. I'm still masking off the control tower and rear bulkhead and 'tail' portion to finish the panel detail there as well. I've really enjoyed this kit so far and it has re-ignited my passion for Sci-Fi kits. I think I'd like to do another one of these Republic Star Destroyers using blue accents instead of red to denote a ship of the 501st legion. I don't think I've seen anyone do that yet...

DSC_3106.jpg

DSC_3109.jpg

DSC_3111.jpg

DSC_3143.jpg

DSC_3144.jpg

WOW! Now that is some very nice work Mike! The Hull panel detailing is superb, and I love to see that "extra effort" on augmented things, like drilled out gun barrels.

I have heard that kit is a joy to build. Well done! :smiley20:

Please post final results, bet it's gorgeous completed. :smiley27:

• 2 months later...

I've gotten a little more work on the Star Destroyer that I started way back in May for the National Model Day event....

The underside of the ship is completed for the most part minus the panel wash. I still have the rear 'tail' section to panel off, the thrusters, the guns, and the upper sail to complte and we'll be all done. I'll be glad when it's completed since it's just been in my way in the office for the last 3+ months...

DSC_3451.jpg

DSC_3442.jpg

DSC_3443.jpg

DSC_3445.jpg

DSC_3449.jpg

Nice work - looks like the project is coming along nicely!

Well, I finally finished it - now I can get it up on a shelf somewhere and out of my way! After the final coat of Future, I used 'Pro Modeller' black wash - that stuff is great! It was all then given a final coat of Testors dullcoat lacquer.

DSC_3555.jpg

DSC_3563.jpg

DSC_3559.jpg

DSC_3562.jpg

DSC_3567.jpg

Hi, Mike,

I've been watching your progress ever since your first posted pictures. I hope your love/hate relationship with the kit did not end on the hate side of the equation. This Republic Star Destroyer really looks great! I hope you take it to some shows before you retire it to the shelf. The sci-fi fans who do not visit this DF need a chance to see and appreciate the work and craftsmanship you have accomplished. Thanks for sharing this build with us.

Ed

Thanks for the kind words guys - I have a feeling that I'll be doing another one of these - I'd like to do another one using regimental colors of the 501st Legion - cobalt blue hilights as opposed to red

Also Ed - I LOVED the article on K.I.T.T. in the journal - I was a HUGE fan of that show as a kid (though I was too young to really enjoy it during it's original run, I caught the reruns...)

Looks AWESOME!! :smiley20: Great detailing, just superb looking! Very nicely done Mike!

I also read your KITT article with great interest Ed, the Dash instrument's images, and using the Lazer Tag toy's circuit in the front end, was really interesting! :smiley16: