Sea Plane Kit with Registration Packet

Hey folks, I am new to IPMS and am trying to break out of just collecting to actually building. My interest is mostly armor, however, I was delited to find a sea plane kit in the registration packet. Not knowing my sea planes, could someone fill me in on what kit this is so I can search for the instructions and decals?

thanks

Michael

If it is the same kit I and my friend got, it is the Airfix Boeing Model 314. It is in 1/144 scale and despite some raised detail, it is a very good kit. The build is straight forward. If you pm me with your snail mail address, I will send you a copy of the instructions. I've got several. Nick Filippone

I got a Minicraft 1/144 Lockheed Columbine III. I thought that getting a bagged kit in the registration packet was the best idea ever!

I too liked the idea of receiving a kit in the registration packet, thanks Minicraft. I'm glad this subject has been raised because I have a question regarding the kit I received. I am an armor builder, but I have an interest in building the DC-6B "the Independence" that I received, but only as an out of the box (bag?) build. The kit as issued can be built as "the Independence", but it would be 6 scale feet too long. The kit instructions show how to correct this by removing the 6 scale feet from the fuselage and how to modify the decals. My question is this; if I make these modifications as indicated in the instructions would it still be considered OOB?

• Like 1

One minor correction. The kits were not donated by Minicraft, but rather by g2 Revolution, an environmental group that recovered them from a storage unit they had to empty out .Their CEO, John Graham, contacted us and asked if we wanted the kits and of course we said yes. There were also a few complete boxed kits they donated that wound up as raffle prizes.

• Like 3

My buddy who attended this year's Nats with me had an interesting suggestion - it would have been really cool if the convention decal sheet had markings for the bagged kits. I thought they were all Boeing 314s, but since there were other kits, I suppose that would have made it impractical. But it was a neat suggestion at the time.

Perhaps the bagged kits could be included in the "best use of a convention decal" category? Except that everyone has to bring their own decals. :m1helmet:

I wonder what the story was behind the presumably abandoned storage unit full of model kits...? At least it wasn't my unit as I don't have that many bagged kits. :)

I have the Airfix Craftmaster kit, 1415-100, in my old timey kit collection. The kit is molded in white plastic, and is 1/144 scale. If you are looking for plans, they may be available with a request in Hyper Scale Plane Talking or Plane Trading.

It'd be really cool if the "bagged kit in the registration packet" would become an annual thing at every national convention.

What kit??? I didn't receive any kit with my registration. Is this only something that was handed out if you registered on the first day?

-Ken

As to the convention decals for the bagged kits, there were several kits and some even had their decals, so we would have had to do decals for several kits, which would have taken up too much space.

Unless there are more similar storage units out there, don't look for any more such give-a-ways. It was probably a one time thing.

As to the origin, I don't have the whole story straight, but it had to do with the owner of Minicraft, the company closing down, a death, a wife not knowing what to do with a lot of "stuff", and this company. I might have that all mixed up or just plain wrong, but it's what my fuddled memory recalls.

I too received one of the Boeing 314 kits. No decals. Does anyone have a set of instructions for this kit? Looking forward to building it. The Airfix Tribute Forum does not have these instructions.

I must have really scored! I got the Columbine and it has the instructions AND decals inside.

I don't normally build 1/144 scale, but I will build this little gem in remembrance of my last Nationals.

I also got the Columbine. Gave it to the guy who put me up in Dayton for a couple days as a thank you (not my scale anyway).

For those looking for Clipper instructions. Borrowed this off the Airfix Tribute Forum.

Clipper_boac_GB_002_500.jpg

If it is the Minicraft version you can try this.

004-15.jpg

You can CTRL zoom to make the pics larger but they get fuzzy. Still, hopefully you can make out what goes where.

OK, a bit of research looks like Minicraft used the Airfix plastic so these should be about the same.

Also found this.

p1010141_0.jpg

p1010143_0.jpg

p1010144_1.jpg

I got the seaplane too in my registration packet. Thank you Phil for posting the instructions! And, also for the painting guide! I do have to ask, as I am a ship modeler, would it be okay to put the clear parts in the airplane with Micro Kristal Kleer or just put the whole plane together without the clear parts and then take a q-tip or a toothpick or something of the like and make the windows with Kristal Kleer only that way? I do like Micro Kristal Kleer for making windows on my ships.