My Latest Builds - Two Red-tailed Mustangs

dcaponeII

It's been a while since I've had time to get any posting done. I thought you'd like to see what I've been doing with myself. The P-51C in the background is the Pro-Modeller offering from Monogram built OOB. The P-51D in the foreground is the Hasegawa offering with an Eduard cockpit added. Comments welcome. The NMF is Testor's Metallizer with pre-shading and postshading. The colors are ModelMaster Enamels. Here's the cockpit.

dsc04226l.jpg

dsc04222.jpg

Here they are separately.

dsc04224v.jpg

dsc04225.jpg

Nice work - thanks for posting!

Comments? VA-VA-VOOM! That's a couple of sharp '51's! It appears you used a wash in the panel lines. If so, what did you use, and did you use it over a "sealer", or directly over the NMF? Congrats on a couple of great looking models!

GIL :smiley16:

Great looking builds! Very nice workmanship. Comments... few points to consider when doing another P-51D the- top engine cowling panels are two pieces (right and left sides), the canopy should rest on the fuselage and ETO mustangs did not use the long wire. Anywho congrats on a awesome pair of fine looking Mustangs.

Yes I used a wash over the NMF. I've got a complex process I use with the Testor Metallizer Paints. I mix them 30:70 with thinned clear gloss lacquer. Then a top coat of clear gloss to accept the decals. The decals are sealed with another layer of clear gloss and then I do the wash with thinned craft acrylic paints. They get sealed with a layer of clear flat lacquer. I then did some post shading with the airbrush and clear flat tinted with metallizer burnt metal. Around the engine exhaust I used a little pastel after all that just to provide some touch up.

I'm going to have to fix that canopy since you're the second person to comment on it. I didn't realize that the rail pulled the canopy down again the fuselage. I'll give it a shot as I think I can hide a drop of clear cement to hold it in place from underneath. I suspect that's why Hasegawa molded the canopy just a tad too wide at the opening.

Anyway, thanks for the comments