1/72 WC-130J "Hurricane Hunter" Conversion

stevee671

Following my C-130H "Screaming Eagle" build that appeared in the Mar/Apr issue of the IPMS Journal, I got inspired to pull out my Testors/Italeri C-130J kit.

The Testors boxing of the C-130J was the first J to hit the shelves back in the 90's. Basically, this kit is the same old Italeri C-130E with the new 2100 engines and 6 blade props.

It should come as no surprise when I say, adding 2100 engines and 6-blade props does not a C-130J make. There's a lot more to it.

To make this conversion work, you need Parts Tree F from the Italeri boxing of the C-130J or just start out with that kit. If you already have a either the Testors boxing or the C-130E/H kit, you can contact Italeri through their website and request for this tree. Explain why you want it and they will be happy to supply it to you for $7.50. Getting this tree makes the process a lot easier. If you have the E/H boxing, you will need to either get aftermarket engines and props or request the engine and prop tree for Italeri.

Here is the beginning of the WC-130J conversion:

First, the forward sponsons are in the wrong location. The forward sponsons need to be moved forward. The left side of the aircraft is very easy to do this since the forward sponson is a separate piece. The right side forward sponson is not so easy as it is molded to the side of the fuselage. Notice there are some other changes to the right side forward windows that are going to have to be addressed as well. Also, all the NACA intakes need to be filled.
IMG_3023_zps53599aed.jpg

The right side forward sponson needs to be removed. Carefully use a scribing tool and razor saw to remove the forward sponson. Then use sheet styrene to reconstruct the side of the fuselage. The newly separated piece will need to be modified using Parts Tree F, Part Number 15F (AC Pack Intake Scoop)to match the C-130H/J configuration.
IMG_3025_zpsee4e0572.jpg

Here is the dry fit of the new forward sponson locations:
8fb99938-8ec6-437c-bf65-2c46ebe3c25f_zps

To fix the left side, I am going to use both left side sponson parts. I am going to use the GTC part with the NACA intake and modify the APU part.

Here are the differences in the two left side forward sponsons. The left one is the GTC (Ground Turbine Compressor) version for early aircraft. The right one is the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) version for H1-H3 and J aircraft.

IMG_1921_zps9994ab1d.jpg

Here is the left side extended. I used Parts Tree F part 1F. Modify the APU part (1F) by cutting approximately 5/8" measured from the aft side of the part. This becomes the plug. This is also the APU exhaust. Graft the two pieces together then fill and sand.
IMAG0065_zpsrf3dog0c.jpg

Edited by stevee671

Same area primed and aft window relocated
IMAG0066_zps1eipzgih.jpg

Left side observer/escape hatch square window cut in.
IMAG0067_zpsdahsw6be.jpg

The right side sponson extension in place and the A/C pack scoop getting filled and faired in.

IMAG0068_1_zpsgvzboba7.jpg

I got the square tubing sleeve installed so the model can be in its in-flight configuration and the base is complete.
IMG_3692_zps4sbizgdi.jpg

I also added the forward inlet scoop on the right side of the fuselage.
IMG_3693_zpsvhnxeed6.jpg

The revised J beaver tail mounting is also done.
IMG_3695_zpsuupnefkg.jpg

Hello there! I have a few questions about this build.. First, it looks like you have used resin engines. Who is the manufacturer and where can one get them? Second, how thick is the styrene sheet you used in addition to the plug on the left side forward sponson? And, how thick are those on the right side forward sponson? I followed your earlier C-130H build to model a Tulsa herc as I am from Oklahoma. It turned out well and I enjoyed it! Thank you so much for your time and help!

Hello there! I have a few questions about this build.. First, it looks like you have used resin engines. Who is the manufacturer and where can one get them? Second, how thick is the styrene sheet you used in addition to the plug on the left side forward sponson? And, how thick are those on the right side forward sponson? I followed your earlier C-130H build to model a Tulsa herc as I am from Oklahoma. It turned out well and I enjoyed it! Thank you so much for your time and help!

Edited by stevee671

Some more Herk work...

APU Fairing left sponson

Real aircraft
APU_zpsntlfxzsi.jpg

Model - Styrene cut to shape and filled and faired in.
APU_zpsyj6jhbzx.jpg

Overall
IMG_3708_zpslyf6jley.jpg

A/C pack
Exhaust/Vent...pilot hole drilled
IMG_3699_zpsnqa98cmy.jpg

Stiffeners on top of fuselage
IMG_3700_zpslgfy7y9l.jpg

Overall shot on stand with 53d WRS patch
IMG_3702_zpsfcxrlowc.jpg

Edited by stevee671

• 3 weeks later...

I am following this as well especially since my father was a Hurricane Hunter and Typhoon Chaser. I would love to be able to build one of these to represent his aircraft. Thanks for showing this, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Lots of nicely done mods..... looking forward to more and thanks!

Thanks Mark!

See my AC-130A build as well.

Just found it! I'm following that one with interest as well since he also had 115 combat missions in Laos; over 100 were in that -A model bird. Thanks!

This one is really looking good!