Mclaren M8b

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I have to show for this week. But before I get to that, let me say that for me model building is a daily event but usually only 30 minutes in the morning before work. Sometimes I get a group of hours together on a Saturday but typically small amounts of time working with actual plastic bits. Sorry, I feel I have to justify slow progress.

The pics below represent the replacement of two vinyl plumbing component that came with the kit. Both install on or around the engine. Each is made up of solder, braided wire, turned hex rod and scraps.

IMG_6867-vi.jpg

IMG_6872-vi.jpg

IMG_6874-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, Comments welcome.

I got several hours over the weekend and made some progress. First up is a detail that I actually did over a week ago. I vac formed a new windscreen using the Mattel machine and the kit original as a master. I think the thinner clear piece is a notable improvement.

IMG_6859-vi.jpg

The next item to report on are the velocity stack intakes. I detailed these to include fuel jets that are visible when seen from above. And finished them with the enamel black / Alclad chrome treatment. I will leave these off until the final assembly to prevent my grubby fingers from damaging the shine.

IMG_6878a-vi.jpg

Finally, where all my time went... body color. This is Testors red (2 square bottles) and testors thinner at 1 to 1.5 ratio. Three color coats were applied over duplicolor rattle can primer. I wet sanded between each coat and polished with Finishers compounds at the end.

IMG_6891a-vi.jpg

The thing that enables me to paint and polish on the same weekend is a drying chamber. Sounds fancy, hey? Basically, it is a section of kitchen cabinet (located in my hobby room) with a dehumidifier in it. Below is the one I use. I picked it up on ebay for about $30 including shipping. It is rated for a 500 Sq Ft room and does an amazing job of drying parts when in a 3 by 3 space. The temperature in the cabinet stays around 100-105 degrees and has not done damage to any parts even when unintentionally left directly on the unit.

drier-vi.jpg

Thanks all for the comments.

Gil, the missing edges are intentional. The stacks are not perpendicular to the manifold, rather are in a \/\/ configuration on either side of the engine. The two inboard stacks touch and have a flat spot where they meet.

Jack,

It is the L. Motschenbacher #11 car (depicted on the box art). Interestingly, most of my reference pics came from the Bruce McLaren Trust website fortunately there are images of other cars in competition not just theirs.

Time for this weeks update. I have been presented a most gracious offer to have this project taken to the IPMS Nationals. I'm not planning on going but a club member (fearless leader) is. The problem is I had not had a time line/limit set before and maybe now I do. Either way I'm gonna build her as best I can and if it takes too long then so what.

You would be amazed at the amount of plumbing in this car. The pic below shows the coolant lines running from the engine to the radiator in front. I used solder, BMF and Tamiya clear smoke to form the lines. Also the battery is detailed and in place. The PE set included battery terminal ends. I crimped these around an appropriate sized wire and secured them in place on the battery.

IMG_6902a-vi.jpg

I blacked out the underside of the body panels and added a detail or two the the door sections. Sure it's just black but so much masking had to be done. I will be adding some depth to the black with earth tone chalks before I call them complete.

IMG_6915a-vi.jpg

Currently I have two things going. The front suspension and plumbing to the oil coolers; neither of which are done enough to show but here is something I would like to share. I have rebuilt kit shocks in many different ways over the years. Normally it involves cutting off the top & bottoms and replacing the center with a rod wound with wire. The problem is they are always weak and often not exactly the same size as the original. Last night I got a really simple idea and hear it is. I whittled away the molded springs from the kit shock with a #11 until it looked right; still one piece. No need for perfection, most is going to be covered. Then I wound an appropriate size solder wire around and trimmed the ends; notice they are trimmed at an angle. This has to be the easiest most satisfying method I have tried for this effect.

IMG_6911-vi.jpg

Thanks again for looking, Comments welcome.

This reminds me of a line in the "We're Stars," documentary video a few years ago. It was one of those fund raising songs done by a butch of 80's heavy metal artists. Anyway, a lot of great players including one of my favorites, Yngwie Malmsteen played solos on the song. They also had the guys from Spinal Tap on there and the best line was "when I heard Yngwie play, I wanted to turn my guiter over and make it into a coffee table cause I could never play like that." Kind of how I feel watching this car model build!

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris, I'm sure you know that some kits just lend themselves to improving parts and pieces. The only real OOTB effort on this build is to replace the vinyl plumbing with something nicer. The look of all the pieces is laid out for me and the instructions explain where they go. I'm having a good time with it though. I'm pleased with my results, the comments are favorable and posting a build diary is as much fun as the build itself. Some might view it as bit self indulgent, I view it as sharing with the hope of insipring someone. So, start a thread and show us what your working on.

Thanks again.

Guest Bun E. Carlos

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yngwie??? Love him!!!!!!!! JLT..........see what he's doing now????

Your DIARY is most welcome......this is a build and super detailing instruction article that MUST be read when building this kit. Believe me.............you don't know how welcome this is!!!! I've got all the frills for this kit already...PE, Vac Windscreen and wire & solder from my armor stuff.......this was the missing link!!! (and the butterfinger orange paint from that company that made it a few years back ) Keep it up!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yngwie??? Love him!!!!!!!! JLT..........see what he's doing now????

Your DIARY is most welcome......this is a build and super detailing instruction article that MUST be read when building this kit. Believe me.............you don't know how welcome this is!!!! I've got all the frills for this kit already...PE, Vac Windscreen and wire & solder from my armor stuff.......this was the missing link!!! (and the butterfinger orange paint from that company that made it a few years back ) Keep it up!!!

Yngwie is still making music and touring. Saw him in Ventura CA a few months ago. He got the singer from Judas Priest (not Rob, the one before him) Your better off listening to the album cause he tends to overpower the whole show with solos! Still amazing to watch.

Thanks for the kind words Chris, I'm sure you know that some kits just lend themselves to improving parts and pieces. The only real OOTB effort on this build is to replace the vinyl plumbing with something nicer. The look of all the pieces is laid out for me and the instructions explain where they go. I'm having a good time with it though. I'm pleased with my results, the comments are favorable and posting a build diary is as much fun as the build itself. Some might view it as bit self indulgent, I view it as sharing with the hope of insipring someone. So, start a thread and show us what your working on.

Thanks again.

Your welcome

Part of my issues are finding references to detail with. Case in point. I'm building the 1/20 Fujumi 1990 Ferrari F-1 car of Alain Prost for the IPMS review team. Beautiful kit with a lot a detail some of which can't be seen once its done. I would not know where to start to wire and plumb everything. I got lucky because that exact car was recently sold at auction and some real nice exterior shots were posted by the auctioner. None showed whats under the body. The second is photographing and posting. Sitting at the computer is not one of my favorte things to do. The one detail not in the kit are the harnesses for the driver. Any idea where I could find some?

Chris

Well I can think of one web site that might know...

E

I will check it out. Thanks Eric

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a couple weeks since posting any progress. It is getting close to complete but still several things left to do. My recent effort has been to the cockpit area. I wired up all the dials & controls on the dash and weathered & installed the drivers seat with PE seatbelt hardware.

IMG_6940-vi.jpg

IMG_6932-vi.jpg

IMG_6933-vi.jpg

Oh yea, sure, you had to go to a "cookout with the wife"........ADMIT IT! You were home building on this model! :smiley20:

Looking great Jay! Nice to see that you've gone over to the dark side and wired your dash, just like the airplane detailers! :smiley2: I look forward to seing it at Dennys in a couple of weeks! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress to share. The closer it gets to being done the slower I get. Overly cautious of messing up something already complete I suppose.

I plumbed up the fuel cells either side of the cockpit and ran the linkage back to the transmission. The role bar with oil coolers(left) have also been installed and plumbed.

IMG_6956-vi.jpg

At the rear I replaced the vinyl duct work with wire wrapped with .05 solder, wrapped with BMF.

IMG_6959-vi.jpg

IMG_6958-vi.jpg

I will need to do the same to the front suspension as I work on it next.

IMG_6961-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

At the rear I replaced the vinyl duct work with wire wrapped with .05 solder, wrapped with BMF.

Brilliant! So simple (and I guess so obvious), yet so effective. Awesome tip. I can't wait to try this out. Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20:

Well, I finally have this one finished. I'd like to thank all who commented and encouraged along this slow build. Your patience is appreciated.

I am happy with the final result. I was really concerned that warp & twists would reveal themselves when it came time to plant the four tires on the ground. Fortunately the model gods were with me. It definitely turned out better than the same kit I built several years ago. I only have this one shot for now. The battery in my camera just decided to die.

IMG_7009-vi.jpg

click to see full size

The best part of finishing a build is that I get to give the work bench a clean down before starting my next one. (Porsche 956 Rothmans)

IMG_6972-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.