Aircraft Or Space??

jabow

This is my X-15 from Special Hobby, 48th scale (resin out the wahzoo). I didn't like the looks of this kit's profile, so I added a scale 5 inches to the nose, just forward of the nose wheel well. As a matter of fact, the forward bulk head of the wheel well is the two (2) 0.030 sheet plastic. Re-contoured the nose and now it looks like the sleek aircraft really is.

Did I mention this kit has alot of resin? Used kit decals for the most part. The yellow seemed too light but when put down of the black paint, it looked just about right. The canopy and aux tanks are removable.

Comments.

Bo Roberts

DSCN2660.jpg

DSCN2659.jpg

DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2657.jpg

I like it, Bo. Did I notice that some of the panels of your X-15 are different in color and sheen? If so, what did you use to get the effect.

Thanks

Glenn

Congratulations on your successful build of the Special Hobby X-15 kit. The finish looks fantastic!

Here's one of the tough questions we ask on this forum: You added five scale inches to the nose; so, was the kit 5" too short in scale, or is your model 5" too long in scale? My evil twin wants to know. :smiley15:

Ed

I like it, Bo. Did I notice that some of the panels of your X-15 are different in color and sheen? If so, what did you use to get the effect.

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn, I used three different shades of black and even a black metal on the nose. Final sheen was obtained by shooting clear flat acrylic and buffing it to a sheen when dry.

Bo

Congratulations on your successful build of the Special Hobby X-15 kit. The finish looks fantastic!

Here's one of the tough questions we ask on this forum: You added five scale inches to the nose; so, was the kit 5" too short in scale, or is your model 5" too long in scale? My evil twin wants to know. :smiley15:

Ed

Uh, beats me!! I just thought built kits I saw looked too puggy around the nose. I really intended to add more, but stopped there. I personally think it improved the sleek look of this beauty.

Bo

Thanks one and all for your comments.

The resin bits were a real pain, especially the trolley. You had to get four pieces aligned/test fitted BEFORE using CA!! I like plastic.

And Tamiya will release one of these this year!! LOL!!

Bo Roberts

Not up to your standards but I'm doing the Revell X-15A-2 in the ablative scheme. Its in 1/72nd and for all intents and purposes it will be oob. I hope I can get the same nice finished product you got. And when that Tamiya hits the shelf I'll just have to spring for one!

I wouldn't know what's right or wrong about your X-15 as far as accuracy goes. What impresses me is how well you incorporated those changes! The fact you can't see your work is a sure sign of some serious skills! I particualarly like the NMF shades on the tanks. Congrats on a fine build and thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Very nicely done. It looks "real". Thanks for posting!