In Memoriam: Jerry Campbell, Squadron/MMD founder

SkyKing

From his Facebook page:

With deepest regret I would like to inform all of Jerry’s friends that he passed away sitting at his computer at 8:50am London time on Friday 3 July, 2 days after his 77th Birthday. Future plans have not been made as yet. From his wife of 48 years, Judy

Thanks for posting this Michael. I too had noted Judys note. It is a real shame but it appeared that he didn't suffer. I have known Jerry for many years. The original Squadron Shop on John R in Detroit (actually Hazel Park but most people wouldn't recognize it) was a stop on my way home from work most days of the week. Jerry changed what a plastic model hobby shop would look like. We had imported kits available, for in many cases, the first time. We soon found special colors of paints - I really loved the FHQ brand and we saw decals, other than the ones that came with kits. When Jerry moved into mail order, he did it in a big way and soon all of these goodies became available to everyone. As far as I am concerned, he was one of the true pioneers of our hobby. RIP Jerry.

Jerry was a pioneer in this industry in about any way you care to name. While he was operating from Hazel Park, Michigan, Jerry was one of the first...if not the very first to supply me with sample kits for magazine articles. I still have the Tamiya 1/25th scale Tiger I that was built for...I believe...the old Model Car Science magazine. It still looks pretty darn good, too, even after nearly fifty years. Yes, indeed, Jerry was special in so many ways.

Richard

• 2 months later...

I never met Jerry but I sure appreciate what he did for the hobby. I made freqent trips to the Squander Shop in Cleveland for the short time it was open. Made a journey to Detroit in the late seventies with a couple of friends; we didn't want to leave! And the monthly sales flyers are the reason I have no room in attic or basement.

RIP

• 2 weeks later...