2017 Bids?

Tricky choice: Phoenix & Omaha each did great shows. Phoenix is about a million degrees but Omaha has the SAC museum. Choosing Omaha over Phoenix would likely cause an open revolt in the west coast chapters who tend to feel ignored in the first place.

Glad I'm not on the EB this year!

Well, the West Coast chapters have not been " ignored." It is simply the case that there have been no bids from the West in years. For this reason, in fairness to them, I would favour Phoenix. Nick Filippone, IPMS # 969. Senior National Judge

Nick, you can't simply decide because it is somebody's "turn" to host. The decision goes far deeper than that, and I don't envy the EB in making this summer's most important decision for the Society. If it were more than two groups that had experience pulling off excellent shows it would be easier.

See you in 3 weeks, old friend!

Edited by jcorley

Would it be wrong, or difficult for future bidding groups to come with a bid with TWO possible hosting years?

Say, for example, you're interested in bidding for 2018. Couldn't you work a "possible" deal with your venue for the same dates in 2018 OR 2019? The deal might have to allow for a modest cost increase, or some other leeway required to acquire that flexibility. However, seeing as how you're already only potentially committed to the venue, it would seem to be possible to be committed to either year, based upon the needs of IPMSUSA.

The advantage would kick in in a case like this year, where you have two very good potential bids; both experienced and both in areas that haven't hosted in a while. This would allow IPMUSA to award TWO Nats, one for the one year and the other for the following year.

I realize that much of this would depend on having both a host that's stable enough to hold things together for a year longer, but then these "experienced" groups (like Columbus, Virginia Beach, Phoenix, etc. ) who've hosted multiple times fall into that capability. It would also depend on the venue having some flexibility, but there again, they're already booking "future business", and I'd think they'd be as happy getting that 3 years out as only 2 years out.

IPMSUSA has always asked for bids based on a single particular year. Perhaps it's time to ask clubs to examine the possibility of more than that. Or, is this not possible for some other reasons?

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that, Gil. One of the topics on our agenda for the eboard meeting in July is the possibility of bidding out the show three years in advance instead of the two we do now. You cite my greatest concern, personnel. An example that you should be able to relate to is our group. In one year, we lost people in the chapter who had been our program coordinator, contest chairman (you), and registrar. Imagine the impact on the convention if that happened in the year before the show? i know that can happen at any time, 2 year bid or three, but the odds it could happen certainly go up if you add in another year.

For heaven's sake, Jim! I'm not deciding anything! I was suggesting that in fairness to the members in the West, Phoenix might be a better choice than Omaha- ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL. I attend the National Business Meeting and the bid presentations faithfully every year. I keep myself informed. I have seen good and bad presentations. I know for a fact, as discussed many times on this forum, that the members on the West Coast lament the fact that there does not seem to be as many Nationals in their "neck of the woods" as there used to be. Both Phoenix and Omaha have put on excellent shows in the past. I am sure that either could do it again. I would not presume to tell the E-Board what decision they should make. On the other hand, this is our Forum and is perhaps the only place where the leadership can hear our reasonable contributions to the discussion. I am very grateful that two potential hosts have stepped up to the plate this year. I love going to the Nationals and will attend in 2017 regardless of where it is held. But, again, out of consideration for and comradeship with my fellow IPMS members out West, I, as an "easterner" would like to see them get a show they can more easily attend and afford. Regards, Nick

• Like 1

Ron (and all): your point on personnel is valid, but less so than in the past. So much more of the Nats is now "canned" compared to in years past, which makes a change or loss of people less impactful. I agree that it would certainly still be a consideration in awarding a bid, in that a larger, more stable club could have a perceived advantage over a lesser opposing bid. Or, does the smaller club possibly get the nearer bid, while the larger, more stable club gets the bid further out, since they'd have a better chance of still being intact that far out? Hmmm......

I think one thing that has significantly changed is the idea that almost ANY IPMS club can bid and host a Nats. The size and scope of the show has shrunk the possible affordable venues that can host it in its current format, and that in turn has eliminated many, many clubs and areas of the country. Thus, we're gravitating towards rotating among 4-8 semi-regular hosts that (luckily for us) cover a substantial part of the lower 48 states. If the venues can show some flexibility in their booking dates, I can see those experienced clubs being able to come in with more than one possible year as a host.

GIL :smiley16:

I suggest that bidding for and hosting a National is less contingent on the size of a club today than it was prior to the standardization (I saw the term "canned" used in another post) of some of the procedures involved in a Nats. This is primarily true in the area of contest registration and preparation of the winner's list, and also in the financial procedures that are now standardized. This trend allows for clubs with a smaller population to make a serious bid for a Nats.

Perhaps it would be of some usefulness to have a seminar at each Nats, with some participation from the leadership teams of the last two conventions, so that potential future hosts can ask questions, clarify procedures, and get tips on what to include in their bid and what to highlight as far as their local area is concerned?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vegas would be nice...that of Orlando again. Wife would like to attend a Nats, but only if we have them in Vegas or Orlando. 2012 was a blasr at Disney; wife was happy; daughter was happy. I bought a thousand dollard worth of models.

Vegas would be wonderful someday. Gambling, models, drive out to Indian Springs and watch the daily Thunderbird air show.

Good luck to Pheonix and Omaha.

And the 2017 Nats winner is.....

For those of us that are playing the home version...

Omaha!

Thanks you for the announcement. Enjoying the IPMS gallery of the contest. Sitting in drydock with a healing knee...so had to not go due to surgery.

All looks great.