Trebuchets

MixvsMinimax

Salve!

Some of my works from the last 2 years regarding medieval Trebuchets. All scratch and in 1/72 (exept one).

Pierriere01.jpg

The Stone-thrower machine or Pierriere of the 11-15th cent.- the 1st step to the Trebuchet.
Meanwhile I brought the ropes with the help of water to hang around naturally. Built with wooden strips.

Bricole01.jpg

The Bricole of the 12th-15th Cent.- the 2nd step to the Trebuchet. Built without details at one evening. Meanwhile I

brought the ropes with the help of water to hang around naturally.
Built with wooden strips and plastic for the metal parts.

Mangonel01.jpg

The Mangonel of the 12th-15th Cent. - Rebuilding the Zvezda-kit. I added some beams (wooden strips) and scratched

a new counterweight (100% plastic). Its scale is more 1/35. I want to build a 1/72 version. Maybe with a bogie wheel.

Trebuchet01.jpg

Trebuchet02.jpg

Trebuchet03.jpg

The Trebuchet of the 12th-16th Cent.- with moveable counterweight-under byzantine flags around 1161-81. The dio is named "The last restauration". Built without details in 4 days and with wooden strips. The details and the rebuilding of of the figures from Preisers Tank-soldiers to byzantine soldiers took of course more time. The knights are from Zvezda and were only a bit rebuilt.

Couillard01.jpg

The Couillard - The last step in the evolution of Trebuchets. In Service from 14th-16th Cent.
Built with wooden strips. The metal parts are plastic.

Edited by MixvsMinimax

Wow! That's some sweet craftsmanship. I just watched a bunch of these in action in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven". What finishing products are you using on the wooden parts of the models? Also, did you paint all of the men at arms, or are they pre-painted items?

GIL :smiley16:

Excellent work on such a small scale.

Can you explain using water to help the ropes hand naturally. Do they drape better when wet? Do you soak them or just wet as needed? Thanks.

@ghodes: I washed the wooden parts with burned sienna and after 1-2 days I sanded the parts a bit. Lime wood (Tilia) is the best wood which allows that method. It has a smooth surface, which sucks the color.

The plastic wooden parts are in the first step painted with R314 and then washed in several steps with burned sienna with a rough brush.

The men at arms are of course painted by myself. But for the shields, the flag and the eagle on the standard I made decals.

@ BryanKrueger: I put some drops on the ropes and so they "fall" naturally. I press them a bit to the ground and ready.

Edited by MixvsMinimax