Grandson Visit

ClareWentzel

My 17 year old grandson has been visiting this last week. He has been interested in building models for a while so we gave him a Guardians of the Galaxy kit for Christmas. He brought it along. The photo below shows the final result. I showed him how to do some of the things but virtually all of the work was his. The kit wasn't easy. We found out that some paints would not dry on the material that made up the model and the fit of many parts could have been better but he and the family were pleased with the final result. He learned how to air brush and how to dry brush plus patience. It was a good week.

Rocket_Raccoon.jpg

Do you recommend this kit for a soon to be 11 year old? It is one of the ones I'd like to buy for my son's birthday in August.

I would with the caveat that he should have some building experience plus you will be helping him. The gun is made out of normal plastic but the body, head and limbs seem to be made out of a vinyl type material. Check the fit of these parts before painting. We didn't and the fit of some of them was problematic. Also, We painted them with a coat of Tamiya primer and then Model Masters enamels. The paint would not dry and if anything, it got stickier at time went by. He had to remove the paint and then repaint the parts with an acrylic paint. This seemed to work. Enjoy.