The Duke Completes a 1/72 scale Saturn V

Well, you've seen all the work for this on the "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread, here's the completed pics of this 1/72 scale Saturn V model.

These first pics were taken without a flash. I also posed this model in front of my bathroom door after throwing a sheet over it. It was the only place I had to put it for pics. This first one shows the 'solid' side of the rocket:

Saturn_V_Rocket_II.jpg

Here it is turned around so you can see the LEM inside:

Saturn_V_Rocket_I.jpg

These next two pics were taken with a flash and I think they turned out better. If you look closely enough, you'll see a small 1/72 scale civilian car on the base of this model for size reference. It's a black car; I know, poor choice of model for a decent picture. Here's the 'solid' side:

Saturn_V_Rocket_III.jpg

You can see I also exposed the doorknob so you could get an idea of how tall this 1/72 scale model is.

Now for the 'windowed' side:

Saturn_V_Rocket_IV.jpg

Okay, there it is, my second Magnum Opus!

Thanks for all the helpful hints, suggestions and tips on this. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Your compliments also kept me motivated to keep going on this.

Thanks again and comments are welcome.

Mark - It is great to see this done, it looks like you overcame the difficult paint issues you were dealing with very well! Now to overcome your next great model challenge, where and how to display or store this? I hope to see this at the next OrangeCon. Dan

Thanks Dannie! As for displaying this, I'll show it at every contest I can take it to. But as I mentioned in another thread, I'll be keeping it in the box since I have no space at home to display it. Looking forward to seeing you at Orangecon.

Well done Mark. I remmber building the Estes flying Saturn V as a kid. It was about 3 feet high...thought that was tall. Yours looks great. Those roll marks are a real pain to deal with. You did them proud.

Bill

Thanks Bill! It was quite the challenge, but I finally got it to where I was satisfied enough. Anything more is beyond my current capabilities.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Duke. Sorry that I didn't meet up with you at the Nats. I heard your name mentioned at least two times during the awards ceremony. Congrats. Was that Saturn one of them? Good looking model.

Dude,

That is great! No idea where you will store it (I've seen your collection). Good on you!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies.

Clare, I was looking for you, but I guess things just didn't work out.

Yes, I took two Third Place awards, but none were the Saturn V. Too many incredible real space models on the tables that far surpassed my meager efforts on my Saturn. Still, she sure got a lot of attention!

I like the model; I am amazed at the amount of real space kits nowadays. It used to be a barren genre that was often lumped together with sci-fi and fantasy kits at shows.

Thanks Rob! I also lie the model and I'm finally thrilled to have been able to add a 1/72 scale Saturn V to my collection. It is great to see Real Space so well populated as well. I can't wait to finish my 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, Mark,

It was great seeing your photo in the new Journal standing in front of this masterpiece. You built the 1/72 Saturn V and nobody else did. Cheers to you for that effort, and for getting it some 2,000 miles to display on a contest table. :smiley31:

Ed

Thanks Ed! I hadn't known about this pic yet since my Journal has yet to arrive but I do appreciate it. It was a bit tough getting it to Ohio. but it survived the trip quite well. Thank goodness Dragon made the box big enough for the whole thing to fit back in when the model is broken down into stages.

Thanks again. That Saturn V has already taken two Third Place awards in local contests.