Beautiful Evening

GHonanie

I guess the armed forces liked to buzz our little town this day, we must resemble Iraq or Afghanistan, Helos in the day and transports at night. These were taken during our families cook out, nearest bases are Luke AFB, in Phx about 4hrs drive, Nellis AFB NV, Krikland AFB NM, Edwards AFB CA, Hill AFB UT, All Several Hrs drive away. I'm thinking these boys were out of Edwards. also is it a C-17 or C-141?flyover005.jpgflyover006.jpg

......also is it a C-17 or C-141?

Ohhhhh, you tread guyz are funny! :smiley17: (LOL)

- C-5B. :smiley2:

Pretty neat! I NEVER have a camera when I am lucky enough to see something like this....

I'm lucky enough to live north of Los Angeles on the approach pattern to Burbank and Van Nuys airports. I've seen everuthing from the daily Southwest 737s to a B-1 bomber when Van Nuys have open houses in July. Some of the more interesting are P-51, A-26, DC-3, T-6s (formation passes every memorial day,) L-29s, B-25 and fire drop helicopters, Hueys, Blackhawks and Skycranes. My wife thinks I'm nuts when I run out the door to see what kind of aircraft is making that noise. I've got my four old daughter doing it now. One of the cooler types is an Avanti two engine turboprop pusher that comes over quite a bit. It makes a very distinctive sound. The strangest time was after the 911 attacks, there was no air traffic except F-18s for a few weeks. I was surprised how much I missed hearing and seeing planes overhead.

I have the same experience of continually "looking upward" here in Jacksonville. My mail route is on the southern edge of NAS Jax and stuff is continually in and out of there. I hardly ever notice the drone of the P-3's anymore. Haven't seen a S-3 Viking now for a couple of years, but they were very prevelant before that. You could tell when they were overhead by the sound of the engines changing pitch in auto-throttle on landing. There's a reason they called 'em Hoovers! There's always the proverbial small VIP stuff coming and going and what appears to be 737 trainers for the new P-8's that will be arriving in a year or so. But, on the brighter side there's usually at least several F-18's blasting off every week and at least one EA-6B Prowler a week since the repair facility in St. Augustine is so close. Then there's the occasional FANG F-15's and C-130's zipping northward too, as well as T-45's dropping in from P-Cola (usually on Saturdays).

What's even more exciting are the "aggressor" a/c that come and go about once a month! A company called ATAC flies them and bases them at Cecil Field when they're in town. I've seen 2 Kfirs, 2 Hawker Hunters, and even an A-4E! I had to do a double-take when the Skyhawk flew over and then ask some base personell if it was true. Know what's the loudest? The dang Prowler! I guess it has to go "full military" and doesn't have an afterburner so it's sounds like a rocket. The Skyhawk, Hunters, and Kfirs are cool because they "purr" in comparison to the F-18's. Gotta love military air! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

just happened to be outside and spotted it approaching, it was very quite coming and going. a couple of month ago my son and I watched a B-1B zoom over us and just said to each other "wow did you see that". It's kinda weird as were in the middle of nowhere , but we get all this traffic. If you look on the Az state map were between Page and Flagstaff about 80ml either way. The only thing I could catch was the yellow band across the tail. kinda hard to see at low light and the bird being "Gunship Grey" to see the tail codes.

I have the same experience of continually "looking upward" here in Jacksonville. My mail route is on the southern edge of NAS Jax and stuff is continually in and out of there. I hardly ever notice the drone of the P-3's anymore. Haven't seen a S-3 Viking now for a couple of years, but they were very prevelant before that. You could tell when they were overhead by the sound of the engines changing pitch in auto-throttle on landing. There's a reason they called 'em Hoovers! There's always the proverbial small VIP stuff coming and going and what appears to be 737 trainers for the new P-8's that will be arriving in a year or so. But, on the brighter side there's usually at least several F-18's blasting off every week and at least one EA-6B Prowler a week since the repair facility in St. Augustine is so close. Then there's the occasional FANG F-15's and C-130's zipping northward too, as well as T-45's dropping in from P-Cola (usually on Saturdays).

What's even more exciting are the "aggressor" a/c that come and go about once a month! A company called ATAC flies them and bases them at Cecil Field when they're in town. I've seen 2 Kfirs, 2 Hawker Hunters, and even an A-4E! I had to do a double-take when the Skyhawk flew over and then ask some base personell if it was true. Know what's the loudest? The dang Prowler! I guess it has to go "full military" and doesn't have an afterburner so it's sounds like a rocket. The Skyhawk, Hunters, and Kfirs are cool because they "purr" in comparison to the F-18's. Gotta love military air! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I wish we could trade locations for a week, I'd love to see that assortment go over. While we're on cool flyovers. I have an office in downtown LA and sitting at my desk one afternoon I was shaken out of my chair by of all the things the Blue Angels. Turns out they were coming from a show at Miramar and were taking (very low) formation shots over LA. Talk about cool. We also get Cobras, Chinooks and Blackhawks - mostly U.S. Marines doing what I assume are homeland security drills every few months. Thanks for sharing your stories Gil.

Chris

Ok, this a bit much, Here was this mornings wake up call. 5:30ish am localflyover.jpg

Felt the rumble of the room and bed. You just gotta love the Army. Now I know how our boys and girls across the pond wake up.