Looking for advice

I'm building the Moebius 1/25th International Lonestar and ran into this problem

Bad.jpg

The paint is Testors Model Master Auto Laquer Pontiac Engine Blue. I originally thinned it with hardware store laquer thinner and this happened. Then I got some Testors Model Master Enamel System Laquer thinner and same thing (pic above). I did see that they have a special thinner. Is this necessary over the other Model Master laquer thinner or am I doing something else wrong? I'm thinning properly, I think, and spraying at 25 psi with a Pasche H airbrush. More importantly, its very pebbly and tough - any advice on removing it? It resists sandpaper pretty well.

Thanks!

Larry

I agree with the sooner the better advice. When I have a major issue like this one I soak the model in Heavy Duty Brake Fluid, scrub it thoroughly with a tooth brush and then give it a good wash in warm soapy water, again scrubbing with a tooth brush. Gotta get everything off down to the bare plastic. Now...if the plastic has been scratch or pitted by any of this its time to pull out the sandpaper.

Frankly, after all that work it may be easier to head back to the hobby shop and buy a 2nd model.

I agree with the sooner the better advice. When I have a major issue like this one I soak the model in Heavy Duty Brake Fluid, scrub it thoroughly with a tooth brush and then give it a good wash in warm soapy water, again scrubbing with a tooth brush. Gotta get everything off down to the bare plastic. Now...if the plastic has been scratch or pitted by any of this its time to pull out the sandpaper.

Frankly, after all that work it may be easier to head back to the hobby shop and buy a 2nd model.

That brake fluid idea works great! Dick may have a point there with a second model though depending on your funds.

Thanks, Fellas. I think it must be senility as I enter old age but I knew both of those tactics. I've used them before on many occasions. Brainfart moment. Unfortunately the paint is on there good and several applications have failed to strip it. Might have to go the new model path.

Thanks.

Hi, Larry,

Is it possible that for a "reasonable" cost Moebius might be willing to sell and send you the needed replacement parts only. You'll need to provide a list, and sending this photo will help your case (your tale of woe). Just a thought.

Ed

• 6 months later...