Chicago Area Chapter

ChrisM

Is anyone aware of any IPMS chapters in the Chicago area? I would very much like to meet others in my area. I live in the far north suburb of Zion.

Chris:

You can check here with the chapter and RC directory. Chicago is in Region 5

http://www.ipmsusa.org/chapters/index.asp

Looks like there is 11 chapters in the area. Oni the north side, maybe IPMS Lakes Region but there are a lot of options

Dave

Chris

I would like to invite you to a meeting of the Lake Region Scale Modelers. We meet in Crystal Lake,IL at the Fountains of Crystal

Lake on Route 31. Out next meeting is Friday June 26 at 730pm. If you directions to the meeting or more information. Email me

at Excenmod@aol.com.

Hope to see you at the meeting.

Neil Butler

Chapter Contact

IPMS Lake Region Scale Modelers.

Thanks Neil! I figured there was some like minded folks such as myself out there. However I live in Zion which is just north of Waukegan and since I don't drive, I don't think Crystal Lake is going to work for me. However what would really be helpful is if you can tell me of any Hobby Shops in he area that cater to modelers. I only do WW2 armor. One can get most anything online, but I miss the ability to be able to purchase items of immediate need. There is a Hobby Lobby not too far away and I was surprised to see they stock quite a bit of supplies. Vallejo, Tamiya, and MM paint as well as Paasche airbush supplies, etc. Not much in the way of Kits...

Again thanks for the welcome,

Chris

The hobby shop guide has not been updated since November 2012. The link Dave sent you is from our webpage archive and you will not find an active link from our current webpage (except from the archive). As the warning on the archive pages say, no one is actively updating it so you can't count on the information as being accurate. I think I did the last update in 2012 because someone approached me and gave me info on updating shops in their area.

If you want to know about local shops, Google is your friend as well as posting an inquiry about shops in an area on Hyperscale. You will get far better info there than our hobby shop guide (I hate to say that but it is true).

• 3 months later...

Been a while I know. The only "Hobby Shop" I can reach without taking a train is a Hobby Lobby in Round Lake, IL. They do have a surprising amount of tools, brushes, and paints, but kits? Not so much. I have found half a dozen online shops that have anything a modeler could need, but there's nothing like having the ability to run down to a store to pick up things I find myself running out of. I try to take a careful inventory especially of paint and thinner before I place an order online.

Thanks for the help!

At some point I would like to revive the guide and make it a web resource... with actual maps and such. Larry knows what I probably have in mind... I just have another project to launch first.

Eric

The hobby shop guide has not been updated since November 2012. The link Dave sent you is from our webpage archive and you will not find an active link from our current webpage (except from the archive). As the warning on the archive pages say, no one is actively updating it so you can't count on the information as being accurate. I think I did the last update in 2012 because someone approached me and gave me info on updating shops in their area.

If you want to know about local shops, Google is your friend as well as posting an inquiry about shops in an area on Hyperscale. You will get far better info there than our hobby shop guide (I hate to say that but it is true).