Are the FSM special issues worth it?

subgenius13

Just looking for general opinions here. The new one looked interesting and then I started looking at some of the back special issues. I get the magazine every month and I usually find a few things of use in there monthly.

Thanks!

I look at it this way. If I walk away with just one tip that I didn't know about beforehand, then it was worth it.

Some of the special issues are collections of reprints of articles from past issues pertaining to the same subject. Take a close look at the articles to see if you may already have most of them. If not they are usually good as they cover one topic in some detail.

The biggest criticism of FSM (and the Journal for that matter) is that they usually don't have enough articles on "my own" interest/genre, or that they offer too many articles with the simplest and most basic of techniques that they already know.

So, if you have interests in more than one area of modeling, or can at least be interested enough to read the articles on the stuff you don't build, your chances of picking up techniques and finding more of interest in each issue, or in the "specials" that may have older articles, greatly increases.

I still subscribe to FSM (and have since their first issue), and buy a special if and when it grabs my interest, without worry as to whether I may have something in it already (buried somewhere in the pile of old mags).

GIL :smiley16: