Oh by the way, this my 1st post. I recently started building a Dragon King Tiger Late Production w/New Pattern Track-Ardennes 1944(kit number 6232) and I read on another forum this vehicle probably didn't fight in the Battle of the Bulge. it seems to me too many are obsessed with nit-picking issues such as the number of the sprocket teeth and track pattern. Is this something to really make a big deal out of? I build for fun rather than count rivets. What is the forums opinion?

Edited by ChrisM
  • Like 1

I'm more passionate about some subjects than others. I was chatting with a friend once and I mentioned how nice the Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire was, but he said the wing outline was so inaccurate he just couldn't build it. Then somehow the subject turned to the Minicraft B-24..he was just fine with it, but I'm a big fan of the Liberator and Minicraft kit's undersized and inaccurately shaped engine cowls were a deal-breaker for me. We both had a good laugh, realizing that all of us have our "sacred cows." Even then, I try not to get too nit-picky unless it's something that just jumps out at me.

The bottom line is, we all build for our own reasons. Some builders love delving into the minutia of a particular subject and try to get every single detail right, others just build for fun and rarely stray from what comes in the box. Whatever floats your boat is fine..that's why it's called a hobby! B)

Steve Nelson

IPMS#30925

One would have to have a microscope to tell the difference. I was hoping it would be part of Peiper's offensive. I have no idea what decals Peipers tanks had on them.

Chris as a armor builder I try to build as accurate as possable to the subjuct I build. That being said there are "Rivit Counters" in every type of model subject. Be it cars, airplanes, ships, armor, etc. I would tell you this. Build what YOU WANT and enjoy it. Along the way of enjoying this hobby do some research and pick up some historical info so that you educate youself as to what is what. That is part of the fun of this hobby, learning about the subjects that we modelers try to build and display. Bottom line if your happy with it then that is all that matters.

Chris G. :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by 802chrisg

I build models, not replicas. The fun is in the process. When it's done, if it generally looks like what its suppose to be, I'm fine with it. Anyone who knows me knows my penchant for old kits. I just build them as nicely as I can, making only small changes here and there if something is obvious, usually due to the limitations of mold making at the time. But there are those that must have complete accuracy and that's fine. What's important is not to let their obsession guide your experience. Learn from them, but build as you want to.

Thanks for the support. My father flew B17's during The War, so the second world war is dear to my heart. He passed away at age 88.He's buried at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio. He won 6 Air Medals.

However building a B-17 seems a daunting task. I've never built aircraft and a B-17 seems to be not the way to start. Maybe a P-51. Meanwhile I'll stick to AFV's.

As I see it, if you like to build for your own enjoyment and satisfaction and are happy with the models you produce... that's great! That's what I do. On the other hand, if you want to enter hard-core competitions, be prepared for nit-pickers and rivet counters. It would be the same at a horse show or a concours d'elegance. Having said that, it's still possible to compete in out-of-the-box categories, where you won't have to invest a pile of time and money detailing and fixing every little niggle.

There are many ways to enjoy the hobby. Some people like to replicate subjects down to the tiniest details. Other people like to build out of box. Some modelers may prefer to add every conceivable after market item or somewhere in between. As long as that particular person is happy, they are not wrong.

The problem occurs, online at least, when modelers try to impose their own beliefs in how the hobby should be enjoyed on others.

I use the analogy of lawn care. You may use a push mower and manual trimmer. You neighbor may use a riding mower and power edger. Another neighbor may hire a lawn care service. And another may make his teenage son do it. None of them is doing it wrong, just differently. In the end, the lawn gets mowed.

Now if you ask advice about this or that or perhaps some feedback on your kit, you will get it based on what type of modeler that person is. You may or may not agree with it depending on whether or not the modeler sees things the same way you do. You might have built it very well and to your standards, but maybe a resident online expert chimes in since it is his favorite subject. He'll notice items that are flawed in the kit's design that he would have corrected that you didn't. Other modelers chime in and call him a rivet counter, a "joy sucker", or other choice names.

Now if you decide to build a King Tiger in Afrika Korps markings or an M1A2 Abrams in Marine Corps markings, be prepared to see some comments telling you that you are wrong. I'd rather get decent criticism than a chorus of insincere "great jobs".

Personally, I fall somewhere in between. I will correct issues that "bother" me, but I will also build many kits straight out of box. It depends on the subject. On a modern armor kit of a vehicle I crewed on, I may put a little more emphasis into detail. On a WW2 German tank, it is more likely that I will build it as the instructions guide me.

.The problem occurs, online at least, when modelers try to impose their own beliefs in how the hobby should be enjoyed on others.

This is so true. I posted this on another forum where a beginner was getting an earfull from another, more experience builder who attempted to impose his beliefs on this kind fellow. The experienced builder had mentioned something against "Real Aircraft Builders" and their weird "Seat belt fetishim". I'll address this quoting the same response I gave the beginner to this imposing comment:

And I quote " Anybody who has a conniption fit over something you're doing or not doing to your builds are commonly referred to as "jerks" and jerks are everywhere. It's your build and anybody who doesn't respect that can fly a kite. Advice and constructive criticism are welcome things but opinionated, intrusive and offensive comments are not. You'll know it when you see it and unfortunately , you will. There are, however, more good folks than there are idiots thankfully. Rock on brutha! "

Keep doing what your doing and build to suit your own expectations there Chris. Sure there are things you'll pick up along the way that'll make you want to "raise the bar" but that's your choice bud. Lookin' forward to seeing some of your builds. :D

• Like 1

Yeah it's all about having fun. A year ago if you told me I'd be building at the level I'm at now, I wouldn't have believed it! I owe much to member Eric Christianson who's become my online mentor. Although I hate what the Nazi's stood for and did, there's something about their armor that's very cool. Imagine if they had built 40,000 Tigers and Panthers which is about how many Sherman's we built.(the Russians built 30,000 T-34's) We would have still won the war, but it would have been a lot tougher. Or imagine if Great Britain had fallen. It would be a different world...

• Like 1

Here's a the Dragon King Tiger I just applied decals to and am waiting for the Future to dry before proceeding. The lighting is terrible and I took these with the camera on my laptop. I haven't started any weathering yet am just starting to use pigments.

post-2831-0-44709000-1434772669_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's all about having fun. A year ago if you told me I'd be building at the level I'm at now, I wouldn't have believed it!

..............and that, good sir, is exactly what the forums are all about! :smiley16:

That's a great lookin' Tiger BTW!!

Edited by mustang1989

Here's a the Dragon King Tiger I just applied decals to and am waiting for the Future to dry before proceeding. The lighting is terrible and I took these with the camera on my laptop. I haven't started any weathering yet am just starting to use pigments.

Sweet! That's the first time I've seen someone with a 1:1 scale King Tiger in his garage! :blink: :lol:

Seriously, that is very well done. You're doing fantastic work here.