Got any models from childhood on display?

mustang1989

Rob: I do enjoy re-visiting builds that I did as a kid. My Challenger was a great blast from the past and my 56 Ford F-100 is a great trip down memory lane but understand now why I didn't totally finish it as that is a tough kit to pull a decent build out of. In short, the Revell 56 Ford F-100 kit really sucks.................very much bad!!! :smiley22:

Gil: Funny how we learn those little quirks of either our own cars or the ones we work on professionally. 'Course the ones we work on professionally we get to make money on!! :smiley2:

Edited by mustang1989

Just make sure the windshield leaks on the passenger side of the Rabbit so it can short out the fuse box under the dash there.... :smiley2:

GIL :smiley16:

that leak came from the sun roof not the windshield! I must have replaced that flasher relay at least 3-4 times at $22 a pop (between 1985-87). I don't recall replacing it the first year I owned the car (late 1984) and when I was in Germany and still owned in (early 1988).

This gruesome looking fellow is from my High School Days (1964-65) and is the oldest model in my collection. He went into the Air Force with me and was soon decorated with stripes to match what I was wearing during my career. The liquid libation bottle was carved out of a piece of wood and the Carling Black Label label then in occasional use painted on.

SACTrainedKiller19639.jpg

SACTrainedKiller196317.jpg

That's cool that you've had it for that long and its survived all those moves that one makes in the military! 1964/65?? That's putting it over the 50 year mark there!

LOL, 1964 is the year I was born!

I do remember some of these kits on the shelf when I first started building, but never had one. The first model series I remember being "have to have" was the Aurora prehistoric scenes kits. You could build them in minutes and had movable parts you could play with. Between my younger brother and me, we had just about every one that included a dinosaur.

Yeah, he has been around a while. Has a nice patina on him from all the cigarette smoke he was exposed to for many years. As you were going through dinosaurs, I was going through Daddy Roth and Rat Fink and several other 'way out' genres. Oh what fun. If you did not have a color, you invented it and it looked great. I think I have some of the re-pops of some of those in the stash somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a 1000 mile round trip to spend some time with my family and pick the last one up from my parents house over the weekend. I'll be working on this one only to restore it to its original finished build appearance and maybe add a windshield, side windows and back glass to it. I've already cleaned the hood up and dipped it in Future. This is what the rest of what I have would have looked like had I not had them in a case for all these years.......

2015-07-05%202015-07-05%20001%20002_zpsq

2015-07-05%202015-07-05%20001%20001_zpsu

Edited by mustang1989

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have any complete models from childhood, but I still have the Monogram Battlestar Galactica, Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider. The Galactica and Viper have been torn down and are (slowly) in the process of being rebuilt. One thing I will not fix on the bottom of the Galactica is a fingerprint made in a glue smudge in the plastic. It will stay there in honor of the 13 year old (me) that originally built the kit.

Thats very cool, Mike. If I were to think of it I also would leave the fingerprint. Maybe even dry brush it a little to show it off. :smiley14:

I have nothing from when I was a kid. My dad thought them a waste of time and as I got older (15 or 16) the "toys" either were thrown away or given to my younger cousins to play with.

But I definitely do remember by first builds. The first one was the Hawk Vanguard satellite that was recently repopped. I'm sure the clear parts of that had all kinds of finger prints on it. I was the type of builder where when the tube of Testors glue was empty - I was done. Haha.

The other was US Moon rocket - the one with the spheres and rails? That was also recently repopped. And I bought them both ...again. Those were built when I was 7 or 8 in 1967-8. I also remember, thanks to Mom, I had quite a collection of the Aurora Dinosaurs and Monsters as well as tanks, cars and planes. I used to build anything that my little neighborhood Mom and Pop Dept. store had.

• 5 months later...

I almost forgot about this one that I built when I was about 15 or so. One day I may freshen this one up....

Take note of the "caps" used on the leaf springs to jack the back of the car up. Wow!

DSCN0043_zpstzxtydhq.jpg

DSCN0045_zpstlbyr60t.jpg

DSCN0044_zpsdhuytvm1.jpg

While we're in the "wayback machine" ("help me Mr. Peabody"..... :smiley2: ); I found this pick of my models that dates from '78-'79....

models%20on%20the%20wall_NEW.jpg

Yup! Just hung them directly on the wall of the apartment! :D The only one I still have is the earlier mentioned Kingfisher my dad built, although (ironically) parts of that 1/24 P-51D are currently being used in the vac 1/24 P-51B I'm finishing up! What amazes me (personally) is that I can name the kit and manufacturer for each of those, as well as how I built them (ootb or otherwise).

Now THAT ..............is priceless ​Gil !!!!!! Wow!! I wished I had taken a picture of all that stuff when I was a kid. About the only one I have is my ol' Revell "Street Demons" 41 Willys that I had on "display" lol

Check it out:

.2015-07-01%202015-07-01%20001%20001_zpsm

.2015-07-01%202015-07-01%20001%20002_zpsh

Which as many of you know is this kit:

.1941WillysCoupeStreetDemonsSeries.jpg

and I do in fact have this kit in my stash now.

Edited by mustang1989

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this one back up to the top as it's a fun thread to read through. :D

• Like 1

In between then and now I found a pic of one of my models built when I was about 18, in '75/'76...

It's the Monogram 1/48 P-38 built OOB (like I knew how to build any other way then.... :lol: ) I still recall using Humbrol paints to apply the OD and gray camo; while the parts were still on the sprue! :smiley3:

Monogram%20P-38J_NEW.jpg

Wish I still had a few of the models from way back than, but this pic is all that's left of that era.

That is cool!!! You bring back fond memories of painting everything while it was on the sprue. The things we did back then when we didn't know better. lolololol

That looks great Gil! Way to go. I still mostly build OOB these days. I'll have to post pics of some of my earliest childhood models (all of which I still have!)

• Like 1

That looks great Gil! Way to go. I still mostly build OOB these days. I'll have to post pics of some of my earliest childhood models (all of which I still have!)

I couldn't help inserting this clip from Caddy Shack in. lol Do show Mark.

XDWbHD.gif

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

I couldn't help inserting this clip from Caddy Shack in. lol Do show Mark.

XDWbHD.gif

Okay, but be prepared to be shocked. These definitely look..... well, not good!

Pics forthcoming, hopefully today.

• Like 1

Okay, as promised here are my models I built when I was seven years old. I still have all of these too...

First singe engine propeller aircraft: MPC Profile Series FW-190-D9:

FirstOneFockeWulf.jpg

First multi-engined propeller plane: Monogram Do-17Z:

FirstOneDornier.jpg

First Jet: Airfix MiG 15:

FirstOneMiG15.jpg

The bare metal finish on this is the unpainted plastic!

First fully camouflaged jet: Airfix MiG 21 in Ugandan colors:

FirstOneUgandanMiG21.jpg

First ship: Revell 1/542 scale USS Forrestal:

FirstOneForrestal.jpg

First (Light) armor: ESCI Panzerjager I

FirstOneSdkfz1.jpg

First 'softskin': ESCI Hanomag SdFfz 251 halftrack:

GermanSdKfz251-1withRocketsI.jpg

There they are in all their "glory". Ah the memories!

• Like 2

Duke, you were so FAR ahead of me at the age it's not even funny! I don't think I even discovered "flat" camo paints until I was 12! It's also very cool that you still have those. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

Man that is cool!!!!! Flat paints at 12? I hadn't even discovered paint thinner till after then. (I only had gasoline as paint thinner buy hey, my dad was a mechanic so it was plentiful) lol.

I do have to say that you were way ahead of me as well. Very cool pictures Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Believe it or not, those paint were the old Testor's square bottle paints that I got in a paint set. I used the old white-handled brush that was included in those sets to paint all these models. All I did was try to follow the paint callouts on the instruction sheets in the kits. My mom taught me how to mask with tape for the black lines on the carrier deck. The local 7-11 even sold individual bottle of these paints that I would go and buy after mowing a lawn or two for some spending money. I even bought a few of these models there too.

What great memories....

• Like 1

Models @ 7-11. Man do I remember when you could buy models at places like that. We had a local True Value Hardware Store named Heard's Hardware there in my home town of Bowie, Tx and they would have models on the shelf. I remember buying a Stuka kit with an electric motor for the prop and I think a Hellcat. I can't remember the model manufacturer but those were cool kits when I was a lot younger and from a hardware store at that!!

If I recall correctly Joe, that Stuka and Hellcat with the motors were probably Lindberg kits, as I remember building them too!

Models where everywhere back then....my dad got started (and then me too) when he bought his first model at an Eckerd's drug store while waiting on a prescription. There was also a place called the Bargain House down the street from my granny's house where I can recall buying and building the 1/48 Aurora A-7 Corsair II model. I can still visualize the camo of tan plastic and gloss green Testors paint! :D

• Like 1

If I recall correctly Joe, that Stuka and Hellcat with the motors were probably Lindberg kits, as I remember building them too!

Models where everywhere back then....my dad got started (and then me too) when he bought his first model at an Eckerd's drug store while waiting on a prescription. There was also a place called the Bargain House down the street from my granny's house where I can recall buying and building the 1/48 Aurora A-7 Corsair II model. I can still visualize the camo of tan plastic and gloss green Testors paint! :D

Right you are. Did a little research and this is the one here, EBay's got it for 22 bucks/ free shipping. lololol

s-l1600.jpg