Do we have a Trophy Case?

Mark Deliduka

Well, I got back from Orangecon yesterday where I was able to pick up a lot of things I had bought before, but did not pay for. My friend brought them in so now I can complete even more of my Russian Armored Trains. I also picked up two more models that were pretty good deals, along with some accessories and stuff awarded in the raffle.

But the real highlight of the day was getting four awards! That was a surprise beyond anything I could have imagined!

Here they are...

I got a Second Place in Ships; 1/451 and Larger with my German V-105 WWI torpedo boat:

Orangecon_2015_Second_PLace_28129.JPG

Then I got a Third Place in Small Scale Wheeled Vehicles with my Mack Tank Transporter with FT-17 tank:

Orangecon_2015_Third_PLace_28129.JPG

Then I got a Third Place in one of the splits: Sci-Fi, Star Wars Only, for my Finemolds Y-wing fighter:

Orangecon_2015_Third_PLace_282b29.JPG

And finally, I got a Third Place in the other part of that split: Real Space for my Saturn V Rocket:

Orangecon_2015_Third_PLace_28329.JPG

Man, I'm stunned! That's the first time I've ever taken that many awards home from an Orangecon! WOW!!!

Later on I'll try to post all my latest scores. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

Congrats, Mark! I love that Saturn V!

I got the Revell version of that kit at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum while visiting my uncle when I was like 15. I had to take it home on the bus with me, with the box between my legs. I got as far as spraying the engines using the cheapest Badger airbrush (using canned propellant). And then it sat in Mom's basement for about 14 years. I told her to sell it when she was having a moving sale, and now I kinda miss it. Too big of a project for me to handle, though, even today.

I also like those OrangeCon trophies. I haven't seen that design before. Very nice!

GL

Edited by SoftskinFan01

Thanks guys for the great comments. I'm still euphoric over all these awards.

Gary, our Orangecon awards are made by my IPMS Orange County club. One of the members has a wood shop in his garage so several months ahead of Orangecon; the club buys the wood and sends it over there. Then he cuts it, laminates it and several members join in for a 'sanding party' where everything is sanded smooth and then clear coated with a thin satin finish. The plaques and stickers are then added a few weeks before the show. Meanwhile, the larger, Best Of's and Them Awards are also built and finished for the contest.

Someday I'll have to get a shot of the Themes and Best Of's.

Nice job Mark.

Not sure if you have seen this video that was taken at the show. You might recognize something.

Did you get any pics of the other entries?

As you see I didn't make it down there last week. Am going to the Boise show next Saturday. Only about a 5 hour drive and I am taking stuff to sell as a vendor so hopefully will sell more than I buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, Komrade!

Would also like to see more of those dioramas in the video. Is there a page of pix from this show, anywhere?

There are a number of pictures on the IPMS Orange County website showing all the winners. I think they are still getting all the pics together of the overall show. The slideshow at the top shows pics from Orangecon: http://ipmsoc.org

• 7 months later...

This past Saturday was the IPMS San Diego model contest. I took 10 models to enter. I figured I'd overwhelm these guys with quantity since my quality doesn't match up to most of the Masters who come here; so I threw a lot at the contest to see what would stick.

Something did stick....

This is my 1/72 scale T-90A tank entered in the Out of Box category. I took a Third Place in this category:

Third_Place_San_Diego_June_2016.jpg

That was quite a surprise to me since that was a hotly contested category. I am thrilled to have placed in this category.

Thanks all for looking in.

Congrats Duke! I sort of had the same thing happen to me at the R-11 regional last weekend. I took 7 airplanes and one tank. One of the airplanes managed a second place, but the 1/48 Valentine tank I took placed first in the 1/48 tracked category! :o I may never live it down...... :smiley13:

GIL :smiley16:

Hey Mark.

Those awards will look real nice on display.

Hope you do good at the Nationals :smiley20:

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the compliments. I won't be going to the Nationals since it is too far and I cannot afford it. Unless I have some extremely good fortune; I won't be in Omaha either. Right now, it is not looking good. Anyway, there are some more contests coming up around here so hopefully I'll be able to snag a few more local awards. Given the stiff competition out here, that ain't easy!

• 7 months later...

This month there was a brand new model contest done by Brookhurst Hobbies for the very first time. It was called Spruefest 2017 and was a resounding success. There were 408 models entered in the contest; almost twice what was expected. I brought 6 models; four of which were brand new. The other two were models I brought out of retirement to compete again: my Dora rail gun and my Saturn V.

At the end of the day, I managed to place Third in Real Space with my Saturn V rocket:

Spruefest_2017_Third_Place_Real_Space.jp

That was expected as there were only three entries so I knew I was locked for a Third Place!

The unexpected award was a Third Place in the Armor OOB category that was awarded to my Dora Railgun:

Spruefest_2017_Third_Place_Armor_OOB.jpg

That was surprising considering all the magnificently masterful models entered in that category with Dora. Almost all of them were 1/35th scale too and yet I managed to place Third. Still blows my mind.

That was all. I had a blast at this new contest and it felt great to bring my Dora and Saturn out again to be displayed and seen.

I also managed to pick up some new models and supplies both purchased and from the raffle. I'll post them later when I get a full accounting done and pics taken.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1