Do we have a Trophy Case?

Mark Deliduka

Today I went with several of my friends down to San Diego for their Model Expo. I took only seven models again this time and was ribbed for it again. When asked "Why so few?" I simply told them I can't afford the "Deliduka surcharge". (this is when a model club charges for extra models beyond a certain number)

I did help judge and had a great time. When the dust settled though, I had won two comic books and two sets of Modelkasten 1/35th scale Panther tracks (one for early Panther and one for late Panther) in the raffle.

In the contest itself, they had a split: "Wheeled Vehicles 1/72 and Smaller" and Tracked Vehicles 1/72 and Smaller". I took a Third Place in each...

Third Place, Wheeled Vehicles, 1/72 Scale and Smaller: Mack Tank Transporter with FT-17 Tank.

San_Diego_2015_3d_Place_I.jpg

Third Place, Tracked Vehicles, 1/72 Scale and Smaller: JGSDF Type 10 MBT with Dozer Blade.

San_Diego_2015_3d_Place_II.jpg

Third Place, Space and Sci-Fi, All Scales and Types: Finemolds Y-wing Fighter.

San_Diego_2015_3d_Place_III.jpg

Competition was stiff, so winning these to me is a major, major accomplishment given the extreme talent I was up against. Not only that, but San Diego IPMS is very stringent on their judging; being as close to IPMS National standards as possible; making their contest one of the most challenging ones in Southern California next to Orangecon itself. This is cream on the already sweet experience of attending that show.

Anyway, I don't win often or much, so this is a big deal for me so I hope you all don't mind me popping this up.

I'll try to have more pics up later of the show and it's entries. I didn't get too many since my battery started running low two-thirds of the way through the show.

• Like 2

Hey, great looking paint jobs! Even though I'm more of a Sci Fi builder than an armor builder I really like the finish on the Mack Transporter.

Thanks Pete! It was great seeing you there at the show as well. It's a pleasure to put a face to a name. You guys down in San Diego run one of the top shows in Southern California and it's always a thrill to come down to it. Someday I hope to get to the January show too.

I'mglad I came over to the IPMS site, because this honor wasn't in the "Alliance" forum last night when I checked it. The "Iron Duke" does it again. Nice work, my friend. See ya on the other side as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I'm kinda surprised that it wasn't up on the Alliance site. I did post it there. Oh well, I'm glad to see your compliment and I appreciate it. Will you be at the Nationals? Some of these are going to Columbus to see how they do there. Hopefully you can come and see some of these in person.

Unfortunately I don't have the bucks to go for the Nationals. I really hope you are able to do well at the Nats. Have a ball and I'll keep an eye out for your messages. I didn't get a chance to check the Alliance forum to see if your there.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just got back from the Ontario Minicon 2015. I am quite surprised and pleased to announce that I have placed today.

Here's my latest for the Trophy Case:

Third Place, Miscellaneous: Saturn V Rocket:

Ontario_Third_Place_Miscellaneous_2015.j

First Place, Armor, 1/48 and Smaller: Dora Rail Gun
Best Armor, Dora Railgun:

Ontario_First_and_Best_Armor_2015.jpg

I've got to admit, I've had a really good June. I only hope I can place at the IPMS Nationals next month.

Thanks guys for looking in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pure all out awesomeness with that Dora there Mark!!!! That's also freekin' cool that you took something home for that Saturn!

Thanks Joseph. I have to apologize though, my Saturn V didn't place. Two of my armor models did; there were too many better Real Space models that beat out my Saturn. I'll try to get them posted later today or in this week.

Okay, as promised, here are my latest additions to the Trophy Case.

I took two Third Place awards: One in OOB Small Scale Softskins and one in Small Scale Tracked Vehicles, Post Korean War. The one in Post Korean War was expected as I was only up against one two other contestants. It was for the 1/72 scale Russian TOS-1 MRLS:

Third_Place_2015_IPMS_Nationals00380.jpg

The other Third Place winner in OOB Small Scale Softskins was a complete and total surprise. I was up against at least 12 other contestants and the model I placed int hat category was the one that was most broken up by the trip. I had to take it back home and effectively rebuild it. I never expected that to even be considered.

My other Third Place winner: 1/72 scale SS-21 Topol Nuclear Missile Launcher:

Third_Place_2015_IPMS_Nationals00379.jpg

Overall, I'm still surprised and pleased at this outcome. It was far beyond my expectations. I had a great time at the Nationals.

• Like 1

Super stuff - It appears appropriate that the Order of Modelenin' medal be awarded, for yet another fine Soviet victory in The Great Patriotic Model Contest!

Gotta admit that the Mack/FT-17 is my favorite of this batch, however.

Rage On!

LOL! Thanks Bob! I humbly accept the 'Order of ModeLenin'! In a way, I figured that if I was going to place in any small scale armor category, the Mack would do it. It is still quite the stunner that the Topol took one, especially given how trashed it was during the trip.