Greetings from the border of Ohio and Michigan

Hi all!

My name is Brad, and I live in the north west corner of Toledo, OH, a stone's throw from the MI border. I've been in and out of the hobby since I was a kid like most of us I think. I have been moving my stash around with me for the last 20 years or so. I've been back in the hobby for about 3 years now and had been participating in a few online communities, but finally got up the gumption to get out and start interacting with human beings in person and also get my youngest child excited about the hobby. We've been IPMS members for only a few months now, but have made it out to our first competition just last weekend.

Most of my childhood was spent building WWII and Cold War era aircraft (they are all in a box in my shop as of a few months ago). The in-between years have been mostly centered around sic-fi subjects with varying degrees of completeness. My recent re-entry I got into the electronics part of the hobby as well. I have lit up models from scratch as well as used some after-market kits. I think I have reached a happy medium at this point and am dabbling in my first warship as well as getting back in to aircraft. There are even a few small scale armor pieces on the shelf as well.

My Daughter Olivia is 12 and really enjoys time in the shop with me. She has completed 2 kits to date, and has 2 at about the half-way mark currently. We're both excited to be able to attend the national convention this year since it's so close, and it's going to be a great experience for the both of us!

Welcome to IPMS. We in Columbus look forward to providing you with an exciting modeling experience. Since you've never been to a National Convention before, be prepared to be blown away. Don't be afraid to talk to anyone and ask any questions you may have. There are very few places where you'll find so much modeling interest and talent in one place at one time. A large part of enjoying these shows is the friends you make.

If competing at the upcoming Nats, Good Luck! Wouldn't it be something to bring home some hardware since this is your 1st Nats! One thing's for sure....you better have plenty of room in your vehicle because the vendors will have some awesome stuff!

Welcome to the forums Brad! Glad to have you here and in IPMS with the rest of us! I did a 20yr "sentence" in Columbus OH (long story-involves a woman :smiley2: ) before moving back to Florida. You are in one of the BEST modeling regions (R-4) in the country, with a LOT of shows year 'round within easy half day driving distances. Hope you and your daughter enjoy being in IPMS, and as Ron advised, be prepared to be blown away by the scope and scale of the Nats in Columbus this summer. These guys have hosted record setting shows each time out, and know how to put on a great Nats! Hope to meet you there, and looking forward to seeing you here on the forums!

GIL :smiley16:

Welcome to the Forums Brad and welcome back to this great hobby! I hope to meet you in Columbus this year; look for the guy in the Orange County IPMS shirt with 'the Duke' emblazoned across the front. I'm also a small scale armor as well as aircraft builder so I'll be happy to show you some of my work. It'll be a thrill to meet another small scale armor builder. Feel free to join us at the Braille Scale armor meeting we'll be having.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! My wife and I (both members) attended the recent IPMS Toledo show in Port Clinton and had a great time (unfortunately I didn't enter anything..I haven't actually finished a kit in nearly two years!) We had hoped to go to the zoo on Sunday, but the weather was terrible so we went to the art museum instead..followed by dinner at Tony Packo's. A must if you're in Toledo!

I live in Battle Creek, MI now, but grew up in a little town about two miles from Indiana and four miles from Ohio. We'll definitely be at Nats in Columbus..maybe we'll bump into you!

Happy Modeling!

Steve Nelson

IPMS#30925