Tempest Tailplanes On The 1/48 Monogram Typhoon? Help!

Fred

I recently purchased the old Monogram 1/48 Typhoon Mk 1b kit. From what I have read, it is not a bad kit, and the price was right (cheap!). I wanted to “tart it up†a little so I’ve purchased some aftermarket goodies to add to it. Just as I was going to start working on the kit, someone in my club mentioned that I ought to put Tempest horizontal tailplanes on it if I wanted it to be correct, since it has the 4-bladed prop and the bubble canopy.

I did some searching on the net and the only tailplane correction set for the Monogram kit was done by the now defunct KMC (Kendall Model Company), kit # 48-5099. There are some other sets made for the Hasegawa kit, namely Ultracast and Sami.

So, I have two questions: 1.) Does anyone know where I can get the KMC set? 2.) Which of the sets made for the Hasegawa kit would be the best fit for the Monogram kit?

Thanks for the help.

KMC was pruchased by True Details, Squadron carries all their products might want to try there. I would think a little fannagling would get the Ultracast or Sami piece to fit. Also might try Ebay.

Oooh, the old Typhoon tailplane dilemma rears its head again! It's more complicated than that.....If you are a member of Hyperscale, I'd recommend posting your question there, as Typhoon expert Andy Thomas frequents the forums and is the guru of all things Typhoon - he literally wrote the book on them.

In a bit of "reverse topic" info, if you want a CHEAP Tempest and are not an accuracy fanatic (and I'm gonna make Paul B. cringe) you can get the Monogram Typhoon and use those detail parts to spiff up the old AMT Tempest! Throw in a few pieces of strip plastic and tubing, drop the flaps, paint it up nice and set it in the BACK row of your display case and you're all set!

I know, my passport to the United Kingdom has just been revoked......Hey! There was a time BEFORE Eduard and Special Hobby and Trumpeter when we didn't think we'd see a Tempest in 1/48! Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it......Best of luck with your Typhoon! I love that old Monogram stuff!

GIL :smiley16:

In a bit of "reverse topic" info, if you want a CHEAP Tempest and are not an accuracy fanatic (and I'm gonna make Paul B. cringe) you can get the Monogram Typhoon and use those detail parts to spiff up the old AMT Tempest! Throw in a few pieces of strip plastic and tubing, drop the flaps, paint it up nice and set it in the BACK row of your display case and you're all set!

:o

Straight to the Tower for you, young man, and NO dessert...... :smiley22:

Paul,

Thanks for the tip. I will post my question on Hyperscale as soon as I am "accepted" by the board there. I guess my proposed membership is "under review".

Hey, I actually built that AIRPLANE! Fun old time build OOTB. Looked great. One problem. The lighter colors on the decal sheet were translucent and showed the 'stuff' underneath.

And that's all I have to say about that.