T-34/76 Mod. 43 No. 112

BryanKrueger

Finally getting my butt in gear and starting on a T-34 after all those Panzer and StuG IIIs. The base kit is the Dragon Hex turret with commander's copula. Tracks are MasterClub, Aber barrel, and extra parts from Stephen at Celtic Works.

This is the base kit.

box.jpg

Some of the goodies.

t34_01.jpg

I'm using this image as reference since I like the stowage and simple markings.

t34_06.jpg

Here's my progress so far after a few days on the bench. I made the tracks months ago ahead of time.

t-34_01.jpg

t-34_02.jpg

I added a nice part from Stephen to add some detail behind the side intake.
t-34_03.jpg

Is it worth grinding out and reconstruct the center section? I know some factories had very specific details here. I'm not clear on what would be seen through the top screens. If anything.
t-34_04.jpg

I ground the kit screen parts thin enough to remove the bulk of the plastic and cleaned out the rods with an x-acto and micro saw. Still a bit to do.
t-34_05.jpg

Beautiful work but you should have built a REAL T-34.......the 85mm version!!!!! LOL

• 1 month later...

OK. Here we are with Fenders and such. Not sure I have the tie downs on the hull correct, but most of this will be covered by stowage.

The PE air exhaust was a little bit of torture but I got it. Want to squish it a little bit more like I have seen some samples but need to clean a small dab of glue that got into the mesh first. :smiley26: It's not sitting in the right place in the first photo.

t-34_05.jpg

t-34_06.jpg

t-34_07.jpg

Looking good, Bryan! The Masterclub track looks wonderful. Any issues in assembly?i

Thanks Dennis. No real issues. The resin pins are tiny and can bend/break at install if you aren't careful but they give you plenty of spares. The tracks have held up to regular handling. I have not tried any blackening solutions yet so can't comment if they react the same as Fruils.

The white metal track sets have great details with some minor flash that you may or may not need to clean up. Assembly is easy with plenty of spares.

Their resin track sets are another animal. The 550mm wide set I used for another T-34 had lots of flash, mold slip, all the holes needed to be drilled out, not enough spares, etc. Maybe I had a Monday Morning batch.

Hard Target Models is a domestic online shop to get Master Club.

Below are the resin ones I used for BeutePanzer.

t34_03.jpg

Edited by BryanKrueger

Bryan, I order mine directly from MasterClub's eBay store. I got a set of tracks for my Tunisian Tiger project for around $35, shipping included. Looks like I'm in the market for a T-34 set too!

• 3 weeks later...

So I got a little bit of paint thrown on this over the weekend. Photos might be a bit bright. Still need to assemble the ammo boxes. The fuel drum and eventual gas cans will be captured stock. Still needs turret markings, filters, wash, etc.

Tarps are a mix of resin tarps from Value Gear and epoxy putty. Soon to be all dusty.

t34_01.jpg

t34_02.jpg

t34_03.jpg

t34_04.jpg

Is it a trick of the lights or did you use a little modulation technique when you sprayed the base coat? Looks very good...

Thanks Dennis! I mod-u-lated it up real good. :D Base colors are a custom mix of Tamiya Olive Green with a little Buff, White, and Yellow. The highlights are created by adding more white/yellow. The small details were picked out with Vallejo Model Color acrylics. Subsequent filters have toned down the contrast. Hope to take photos again soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cat Dude

Here she is finished. Most of the dust effects were created first with Humbrol enamels and then topped with pigments. This was my first time dusting this much with Humbrols. Love the paint, hate the tins. What is this 1904? :roll:

t-34_01.jpg

t-34_02.jpg

t-34_03.jpg

t-34_07.jpg

t-34_10.jpg

Exceptional job, Bryan! The devil is always in the details and you've done a great job with them. Love the varied tones in your wooden box, the ring of dust around the headlight lens, the wear and tear on the engine deck...I could go on.

I'm keeping copies of these to work for when I crack open my T-34. It's just staring at me....daring me to open it.

Stunning work!.....thanks for the pics. They really help to see how the finish develops as you add color and other techniques.

• 2 months later...

Never understand judging at shows. Took this a couple of weeks ago to a local IPMS show. Didn't even place in Military Vehicles 1/35 Allied. Maybe it was the worst looking Sherman they'd ever seen. My mostly OOB ISU-152-2 took 2nd and an OOB MKIV Male with out of scale mud effects won 1st. <_<

My StuH42 won Best Armor which I consider to be on the same level as this T-34.

Pretty inconsistent. They were short judges and were asking for any help.

• Like 1

Maybe the judge was from the aircraft category and mostly they don't like too much weathering or mud. Just look at the latest Journal you will see a great number of clean kits winning over others with heavy weathering.

I think is a great style and in europe is the key factor for winning.