Alclad Gloss Black Base

How long does it take this stuff to dry? I sprayed the top of my model last night and it is still tacky. I don't feel that I can turn it over to spray the bottom without it sticking to the foam supports. Help. Does anyone have experience with this material?

....but you know I haven't the patience to wait 3 days for ANYTHING to dry, LOL!

That's me exactly. I figured that since I was using Alclad, I might as well do it as they recommend. Since it was supposedly lacquer based, how slow can it dry. At least your comment gives me hope. I don't need to start removing the stuff.....now.

Clare, I've never used it. However, I have read from others that it takes upwards of 3 days to cure, sometimes more.

I either use Testors Gloss Black enamel, or simply coat the bare plastic with Future then apply the chrome. Of course, that alters tonal quality....but you know I haven't the patience to wait 3 days for ANYTHING to dry, LOL!

I've done the same thing with Future. I really like the way it looks over a Future base.

2 words - Food Dehydrator

I dip my canopies in the Future and in several hours of running in the Food Dehydrator I can handle away......rather than wait a few days.

An alternative to the Alclad black primer is the Tamiya spray can gloss black. Dries in about an hour to a nice shine. I'd wait overnight before I shot the Alclad on, but the results are quite nice.

Ralph

Clare,

I have used the black primer several times. I have never had a drying problem. I use high pressure to spray over a grey primer coat. I put on two light coats according to instructions and wait overnight to spray the metalizer.

I would just turn to another project and wait for this to dry, that is unless you are building for the Nats. If so Buena sorte!

Jim Fry

A guy at our Saturday morning modeling bunker was sanding a model srayed with the black base. He said it dried in 24 hrs. I do know from reading over on ARC Alclad had some bad batches of their metalics that did not dry. I don't know if that problem extended to the black base as well. Anyone know?

Thanks all for the comments. I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad batch of primer. I have had it in my spray booth for 4over 4 days with the fan on. The model is still slightly tacky. I am just going to apply the Alclad and see how it works. The model is just an old F-80 for Paul Bradley's display at next year's nats.

Jim, will you be attending the nats this year?

Thanks all for the comments. I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad batch of primer. I have had it in my spray booth for 4over 4 days with the fan on. The model is still slightly tacky. I am just going to apply the Alclad and see how it works. The model is just an old F-80 for Paul Bradley's display at next year's nats.

Jim, will you be attending the nats this year?

Not this year. But have solid plans for 2009.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
:smiley14: I`ve used this product a couple of times and in my experience its alters the tone of the finish coat in a way I don`t care for. For metal finishes I polish the bare plastic and shoot right on it. I never tried the future undercoat before. The fellow using the Tamiya spray is right, they are great, quick drying and leave a perfect smooth shiny finish. Just dont shoot them over enamel unless you want a krinkle finish! Not that I know anything about how that could happen.

I just used it for the first time last Saturday. Was dry to touch by Sunday evening. But I am not happy with it. I've never been too good at spraying glossy paint jobs and sure enough some parts are glossy but most are not smooth. Not a good thing with NMF paints. I think my next one will be sprayed with SNJ, at least I don't have to prime with that brand.

Eric

I just used it for the first time last Saturday. Was dry to touch by Sunday evening. But I am not happy with it. I've never been too good at spraying glossy paint jobs and sure enough some parts are glossy but most are not smooth. Not a good thing with NMF paints. I think my next one will be sprayed with SNJ, at least I don't have to prime with that brand.

Eric

The only thing with SNJ is the care in handling once its applied and masking over it is not something I would recommend. It does look great I must admit. The Tamiya paint trick that works for me is two light coats and a heavier third. I just finished a Ferrari formula race car over polished plastic and it looks like glass, even over lots of curves. Like everything else practice, pratice, practice. What are you finishing in bare metal?

I can say I had a very bad experiance with the black undercoat. :smiley19: I will admit that the bottle was about three years old, but I have never had a problem with paint due to age, other than drying up in the bottle. The paint shook up well and seemed to be viable prior to spraying.

The model was sprayed with the black undercoat and it was still tacky after a week or better. I let it dry for about three weeks over all and decided it was time to press on. An attempt to sand out some dust resulted in the paint just balling up and gumming up the sandpaper. The model was stripped using lacquer thinner and the paint did not even wash off, it just crumbled and gummed up. Big mess.

I'll never use the Alclad undercoat again. I had hoped that they would be at Nats this year so I could talk to them about that but they did not show. From what I understand, they a getting a bit gun shy about the drying issues.

Great paint when it works.

Ta Ta and Happy Modeling.

Dreamsof51 (interesting name, what's the meaning)

Are you sure you arn't mixing SNJ up with Metalizer? It's been a while since I used SNJ but after it dried I had no problem masking or handling it unless I had use the powder already. As to what I am building, it's the NMF parts on a Tachicoma (from the anime "Ghost in the Shell").

Eric

Dreamsof51 (interesting name, what's the meaning)

Are you sure you arn't mixing SNJ up with Metalizer? It's been a while since I used SNJ but after it dried I had no problem masking or handling it unless I had use the powder already. As to what I am building, it's the NMF parts on a Tachicoma (from the anime "Ghost in the Shell").

Eric

I`ve had that issue with both. Perhaps I`m not letting it dry long enough. As for the name the P-51 Mustang is my favorite WWII fighter and flying in one would be a dream come true for me.

It sounds like Alclad had a batch (or more) of bad gloss black primer. As an update, my F-80 looked good after I sprayed it. HOWEVER it is now showing a number of thin cracks in the surface. The model is just for fun plus I have the decals started so I will complete it and put it on the shelf but the next time I use Alclad, I will use Future. Thanks guys.

• 2 months later...

I got this of Swanny's site.

Decant Krylon #1601 gloss black and airbrush it on.

Worked like a charm, dried quickly and cured over night, real glossy and above all....... cheap.

I still have a can from a year or so ago that's still nearly full.