36 year old Monogram 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

Well folks after what started out as a one week ordeal and turned into FOUR months of fun filled building, this sucker is now finished!!! The short version of the story is that I built this car about 36 years ago for my little brother. It stayed at my parents house for years after I built it and I finally took it , cleaned it up a bit and gave it back to my brother for Christmas about 5 years ago. The car took a fall about a year into its stay there and the hood and a few other parts were lost. I took it back again, eventually found most of the parts, cleaned it up, put it most of the way back together and put it up on the shelf for around 4 years.  I took it down to replace the hood and rear spoiler from a new kit that I bought. What happened next is a build that ran itself and told me how it was gonna be. The car body is original and the interior is all original except for the shifter. I have had a lot of fun with this build because it's my first all out attempt at car modeling and I have learned all kinds of stuff from the help of a lot of folks who were kind enough to pop in and contribute to my WIP thread. Without the help I had along the way from forum members it wouldn't have turned out this good I can tell you that.

Before the re-build

spacer.pngFromthestart_zpscdacdc2a.jpg

Afterwards:

DSCN1446_zpszqknr6my.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The chassis has not been modified as far as the paint and detailing goes. All chassis detail and broad coverage painting is as it was when I painted it at 14 years old.

spacer.pngDSCN1445_zpsabgntjpn.jpg

DSCN1444_zpssbiuvhm8.jpg

DSCN1442_zps9qkghubd.jpg

DSCN1441_zpsapmepnrf.jpg

DSCN1439_zpsogs3szui.jpg

DSCN1440_zpsy7bgvc1o.jpg

DSCN1438_zpsk8ft6mnk.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2

Man...that looks GREAT. Very clean build. The engine bay looks very real.

Edited by GaryDavis

Thank you Gary! And to think that this was just supposed to be a minor touch up....................lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Not shown earlier were a couple of pics that I had along the way on the build.....

Overall interior shot:( I did end up changing the shifter out to the correct wood grain shifter handle)

Interiorrepair001_zpsd1d8cdb9.jpg

Dash:

MoreDashpics001_zpsa7691c46.jpg

and a couple more from the engine bay:

RSCN1372_zpstxojijlw.jpg

RSCN1375_zps5oxfjy2k.jpg

• 6 months later...

In addition to scarfing up a 1st place in its category and Best in Automotive in Houston back in April I racked up a 2nd place award in Austin last month.

002_zpsolcepat6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mark! I had no idea 30yrs ago this thing was going to win any awards. It was truly a fun build. It was definitely more kind to me than my F-100 is being to me. lol

Edited by mustang1989

Mine had torn seats from screwdriverrs in the back pocket....rusty quaters...a knocking engine...four different styles of tires...it ate gas, at $1.19 a gallon and bitching about that price. God do I miss that thing. BTW, model is excellent....I'm going to curl up in a corner now...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Missed that Bob. Thank you sir. I may take this one to a National Event yet..............

• 4 years later...

Thought I'd bump this one back up to the top for some of the newer viewers. This is my favorite all time auto build largely because it's one of my surviving original builds that I "upgraded". 

• mustang1989 changed the title to 36 year old Monogram 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A
16 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Well worth seeing again! What a stunning beauty!

Thanks Mark. 'Preciate you stoppin' in buddy! 

13 hours ago, MWS said:

So that was the original wet paint look?  man seriously got to up my finish game.  it looks like a HOTROD magazine photo shoot.  well deserved awards congratulations!

Thank you for your comments as well Mark. There were two firsts with this car. When I was 14 it was the best gloss I'd turned out to date. And then again some 31 years later it was again....the best gloss I'd ever achieved on a car. I stripped the original gloss and decals from the body and obtained a new set of cals and glossed over the molded body color for the second time around. Hell must've froze over or something because the gloss just went on......and that was it. It was perfect....no dust....no wet sanding and no polish. It just wound up as you see here. I chased that same result for 3 more years but never got the same results again without wet sanding or polishing. Just my lucky gloss day on that day I guess. lol 

• Like 1