Revell '56 Ford F-100-Last Minute Touch-01/06

Thanks alot Dannie! Man I'll tell you this has been one trip down memory lane. When I built the first truck 32 years ago I didn't get this far with it but I remember alot of what I did back then. True it aint turnin' out like this one is but I sure had a load of fun back then with it........and I'm having a blast with it now.

I got to re-looking at the hood and scoop and decided that the scoop needed some engine numbers on it. I had a set of decals that said "BOSS 429" on them so I decided to cut the BOSS part out and trim up the 429 numbers and apply them. I'll let 'em dry out and clear it in the coming days. I think it added a nice touch to the front of the truck.

001_zpstzomltva.jpg

I now have all the Street Demons kits as of last Thursday. I see another 429 going into at least one of these...possibly the 54 Chev or the 41 Willys. Decisions, decisions, decisions....... Hmm.... icon_hmm.GIF

001_zpsarig2vp8.jpg

.I was applying BMF to the passengers door window trim this morning and looked over at the truck bed and realized I haven't posted any pictures of the wood planks and mini wheel tubs that I fabricated in the bed yet. I figured I'd get that posted up this morning.

001_zps7jj6xiqx.jpg

002_zpsjruz18kz.jpg

and then a close up of the license plate retaining hardware:

003_zps2lv7v8gd.jpg

Well over the weekend I was able to make some progress on this thing. All in all this old Revell kit has got to be among the worst fitting kits I've seen yet. I'm sure there's others but this one is among 'em. I've got fit issues with the windshield and the doors as well as inner fender wells that have thrown me off track but I keep chuggin' along nevertheless. The BMF adventure turned out ok and I managed to get the passenger side door shoe horned in there and got it to look half decent. I messed with the photos to bring the red out as close to what it actually is here..

001_zps7ijputyf.jpg

002_zpss50xvbkr.jpg

.I worked through the drivers door hinge to where the door opens and closes well with little sagging when opening the door. The next obstacle that I had to go through was to make the door stay shut. I've heard of the use of magnets to accomplish this so I started thinking....."How am I going to pull this off and make all this look legit ?". icon_hmm.GIF I came up with the following: I need a fire extinguisher in the cab anyways so I took out my pocket screwdriver from work and removed the magnet from the top.

001_zpsjf93rhda.jpg

I needed a fire extinguisher from another kit so I turned to my AMT 1994 Mark Martin Valvoline kit for that. I cut the top and bottom off just to the inside of each retaining strap so that when this is all glued together it'll look ok.

002_zpsqbbig36k.jpg

This will go upright in the L/H rear corner of the cab after being assembled and painted. I had to remove the drivers door trim panel and come up with a metal strip that I could fit inside the door along the rear door jamb area in which to "latch" onto the magnet/ fire extinguisher just inside the cab. I came up with a trim panel retainer and cut a strip off from it and glued it on the inside the door and reinstalled the drivers door trim panel back. This outta do..........

003_zpsfb2wthac.jpg

I tested it several times and it works great so now I can press ahead to the completion of this thing hopefully. icon_whistle.GIF

Thanks Jim and Mark!!! I've been on it now for going on nine solid months and it gets a little discouraging sometimes so thanks for the support. Did some work on this thing this morning and got the fire extinguisher assembled and primed. We'll be painting this later today or tomorrow morning.

002_zpsxt7ak43t.jpg

and.....it took four times to get the paint right on this but here the hood is. The reflection you see is my hand holding the camera. I left the picture unmodified so you could make the flames out in the paint. It's just the look I was after.

Yeah...................I can live with this...........

001_zps5uq8abpo.jpg

That hood looks fantastic and I love the fire extinguisher. I can relate with the frustration of working on a kit for nine months. I like ot get mine done quick so I can move on. Maybe it's some of the residual ADD I have, but I always try to stick with it. Besides, with all the great updates, it doesn't feel like I've been following this for nine months. Believe me, your quality work is well worth the wait!

I really appreciate that Mark! Especially seeing some of your builds. I'd say I've got a good month to go yet on this thing. Hope to post progress pics again tomorrow morning.

I had it pointed out to me on another forum that I didn't have any registration decals on the license plate which I had totally overlooked. I've got the decals cut out and will be applying those tomorrow morning. I've also got another front bumper coming from Revell. After three freekin' bumpers the 1st one had a bunch of dots in it, the 2nd one had injector pin marks from hell in it and the 3rd had the chrome finish worn off from the high points/ corners. I was going to alclad the front and rear bumpers but decided not to as I'm still working on scrap pieces trying to perfect the "chrome" finish. I must've got lucky on the wheels is all I gotta say.

003_zps6txbgx0c.jpg

As for the fire extinguisher I've got that underway as well. In looking at the pictures it looks like I need a light wash to bring out the detail where the nozzle area is. I'll be taking care of that tomorrow as well. I BMF'd the retaining straps this morning and folks I'll tell you this. Trimming BMF is one thing but when you're doing it on a magnet and it keeps wanting to pull the X-Acto blade towards the magnet it makes it that much more difficult. By having a drill bit in the bottom of the extinguisher I was able to hold the extinquisher still while making the cuts. Anyways here we are so far with that...

001_zpsj6waledb.jpg

Thanks Gary.

And the registration decals are on.............................

001_zpspdevi7my.jpg

The top of the plate is a little uneven but there aint no way to see it with normal vision. I need 1.5x corrected vision normally and I couldn't tell with the glasses on. I did some more work on the passenger door hinges as far as paint goes but progress was a little slow this morning.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Why here's " another" red, flamed, lowered, tubed, '56 F 100 roflmao_zps227429dd.gif

Looks like one I have enjoyed on another site; and by golly I have enjoyed it again, here!

Great job Joe, :smiley20: on the truck. I have been bookmarking your threads so I can use some of your techniques. :smiley32: If I can figure out how to get the cap off the glue bottle

Joe, that is looking superb. Nice work on the license plate registration. I like the look of the fire extinguisher as well; I'm surprised at how well it turned out.

Steve, glad to see you here too.

Thanks Mark! :D

I was at the point the other day to where I was going to install those inner wheel wells that I had been working on a couple of months ago and the suckers wouldn't fit. All that work to them and the body could not be installed with them in place. I had pondered the idea of leaving them out but that looked cheap and unfinished. The initial thoughts to remedy this started here....

001_zps2mepitla.jpg

Followed by some action with cutting out a part that resembled the plastic piece except only from the firewall forward.

003_zpsd23bottf.jpg

So far I'm liking the results. In the foreground you can see what the lack of the inner fender wells makes the engine compartment look like and the update on my "test mule". (This is the same blue body that I started out with. I stripped most of the blue off it with brake fluid)

004_zpsoecqaioo.jpg

I managed to get the R/H side cut out and formed this morning. More shots with the test mule...

001_zpspdbxkklx.jpg

002_zpswcjshznf.jpg

Now I'm at the point to where I don't know if I want to Alclad them or cover the inner sides with Chrome BMF. I still have some learning to go with Chrome Alclad......we'll see....icon_hmm.GIF

Thanks Mark! I could technically go with Alclad very easily on this. Just dip each fender well into Future floor polish, allow them to dry and let the good times roll............. :smiley16:

Got 'em both Futured yesterday and primed gray today.Will be re-priming flat black tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my 3 part urethane gloss clear soon to apply over that. Then................it's Alclad time

Edited by mustang1989

Got 'em both Futured yesterday and primed gray today.Will be re-priming flat black tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my 3 part urethane gloss clear soon to apply over that. Then................it's Alclad time

So, I guess you not going to worry, too much, about the soda company's logo showing through-eh? :P

Seriously: like the inner fender wells they will make this great model even great-er- er :smiley32::smiley20:

................and then I got to thinkin'....this is aluminum you know. Why Alclad when all I have to do is polish? I had to go backwards a step here but I think it's going to be worthwhile. I cut another fenderwell out, removed the protective coating with steel wool, sanded it down using the typical 3200grit -12000 grit sanding pads and polished it up.

001_zpshye9xghs.jpg

I think I'm going to like this ALOT better.

002_zpsrfqbisvy.jpg

Then I cleaned up the hood emblems, painted the low lying areas and shot a coat of gloss clear over each one.

004_zpsizftlba8.jpg
003_zpsbtrtaump.jpg