Is It Navy Or Marines

GHonanie

Here's one of a pair that usually buzzes our beloved town. can't tell if it's Navy or Marine. I'm thinking it's the later as we usually get Marine CH-53's too. Also notice something new on the boom, never seen it before.flyover001.jpgflyover002.jpgflyover004.jpg

Gilbert,

My guess would be Marine too. Unless it's a civilian testbed. I "think" the Navy is still paintin theirs engine gray, unless it's a SEAL transport and then it would depend on theater of operation.

- The dark colored portrusion on the base of the boom (just aft of the cabin door) looks to be a chaff or flare dispensor. Initially, I thought there was another protrusion below the horizontal tail plans, but closer scrutiny reveals that it's just the opposite side tail plan. Further back on the boom there appears to be another protrusion. My guess would be some type of IR suppression that works in conjunction with the "Disco" ball on top of the dog house. Cool pics. I can only imagine the thrill ya get outta the thumpin/poppin of the blades when they fly up to your place. Model on Dude.

OOOHH yeah, kinda makes the items hanging on the walls shake a bit. I barely notice the protrusions at the base of the boom. Hopefully I can get more pics on their next flyby, also notice crew member wearing desert brown jumpsuit. can email better pics if you want them.

Here's one of a pair that usually buzzes our beloved town. can't tell if it's Navy or Marine. I'm thinking it's the later as we usually get Marine CH-53's too. Also notice something new on the boom, never seen it before.

I can almost make out the tail codes. Matching it to know operators, the likely code is "VT" used by HMLA-367 out of Camp Pendleton.