Swing wings and paint issue

burner12

I'm currently building an Academy 1/48 F-111F in SEA camo. I've constructed it so the wings can move. When I put on the black coat on the bottom I started seeing whenever I sweep the wings it peels the paint off at the swing joints. I remember that happened to me with my Revell Monogram 1/48 F-14D. So is there anything I can put on top of the paint to prevent it from coming up when I move the wings, not that I'm going to be moving them continuously if ever? I was thinking maybe a gloss coat.

A gloss coat would help, but it would also scuff and show marks, if not rub off leaving the black paint exposed again. A piece of copy paper cut to fit that area would protect it while you build, and should be thin enough to allow wing movement as needed til you finish.

GIL :smiley16:

You might find that if the paint is allowed to fully set up - a couple of weeks drying time - it may be better.

Also, the paint should probably be as thin as possible. Don't put on a really thick coat.

If you add a clear coat over the black paint, it will protect it only until after the clear coat has been scraped and scuffed away, at which point the black undercoat will be vulnerable again.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim makes a pertinent point...

Do you need the wings/pylons to be operable for demonstration purposes? If so, then you need to solve the paint scrubbing issues. However, if you can be satisfied (personally) knowing how it all works, and also satisfied that when showing the model simply explaining their function to the viewer will suffice; then gluing them in one set position solves your problems.

It boils down to what you want and need from the model.

Missed at the meeting yesterday, by the way! Cheers!

Jim makes a pertinent point...

Do you need the wings/pylons to be operable for demonstration purposes? If so, then you need to solve the paint scrubbing issues. However, if you can be satisfied (personally) knowing how it all works, and also satisfied that when showing the model simply explaining their function to the viewer will suffice; then gluing them in one set position solves your problems.

It boils down to what you want and need from the model.

Missed at the meeting yesterday, by the way! Cheers!

I do need the wings move to show how it works. I'll mostly likely keep them in 1 position most of the time. However I'm going to sand in between where the wings connect to the fuselage to try and sand away the contact like you said.

• 2 weeks later...

Smoothing and polishing out the wing surface and opening will probably help reduce friction. Use a process similar to prepping for a metallic finish and then make sure to smooth and buff the paint as well. It will probably still wear, but may not show it as quickly? Just a thought...