Tamiya 1/48 M6a1 Seiran

TimHortman

Here's the last of the most recent round of finished kits.

This is the excellent Tamiya 1/48 M6A1 Seiran.

The kit is finished in the "false" US Markings that the Japanese applied to the aircraft for thier attack on US forces. The war ended before the attacks could be carried out, and the aircraft were 'launched' into the sea.

Model is pretty much OOB, with the exception of the tail being cut off, and the holes for the floats filled in.

Launch cart is aftermarket (thanks Chris!)

It's also my first attempt with Alclad II - (and I have to admit I am ready to do another project in NMF after trying it!)

z011.jpg

z012.jpg

z008.jpg

Looking good. I've used Alclad for a number of projects and have had problems on only one. (My bad...easily fixed with some sanding) and I love the stuff! A bit price challenged but one gets terrific results.

Thanks again guys!

The "plan" in painting these in US markings was to get as close to the target as possible before it was realized that they were in fact enemy aircraft. It did, however, prove to be a very unpopular decision with the Japanese pilots, as they felt their attack would succeed even with the standard Japanese markings.

It was a fun build, and I can certainly see myself doing another one down the road.

Thanks Greg!

Jack - you're right it is a bit of an oddity. But as most of the researchers 'agree' these days - this IS what they looked like as they were loaded for thier final/only mission. Too bad that we're not ever likely to find a photo of one to confirm. Our only chance to get some 'real' documentation is for someone to find them at the bottom of the Pacific...

I had a little trouble picking which to use but ended up going with the "White Aluminum"