Fine Molds 1/72 Ka-go Autogyro

TimHortman

Another long running kit finished up.

This time a 1/72 Fine Molds KA-GO Observation Autogyro built OOB.

z005.jpg

z007.jpg

Surpisingly this took a 3rd at the recent IPMS Region 1 Convention in Buffalo. I'm happy just to have some of these finished up! :smiley20:

Nice one Tim! It looks like it would be NO fun to fly that thing. First you have to peer around the rotor post to be able to see in front of you, and second, you're in an open cockpit with blades whirling directly overhead! Well, the Japs had a deathwish during that time period anyway I suppose......interesting a/c!

GIL :smiley16:

Interesting and great job !!!

That's the japanese license built version of the Kellett KD-1 with an Argus engine replacing the Jacobs radial.

Here's the LF Models 1/72 KD-1 done up in NPS markings as it flew here (see museum link) in the early 1940's.

jr_kellett_3330.jpg

The cockpit detail in your Fine Molds kit certainly seems superior to the LF kit -- do they make a standard KD-1 also ?

John

Given the scale involved, these are both very well done models. I've got to use my 3X glasses just to paint in this scale. Nice job guys.

Chris

Thanks Gang,

The kit itself wasn't too bad, being it was 1/72 there were not a huge stack of parts (plus the interior wasn't "superdetailed" by any means!)

Thanks Justen,

Most of my projects lately have been done "just to finish them up", but it was nice to actually win something with this one.

I have a few dozen more projects that are in-process that need to clear the bench, then I can start to really get some "serious" modeling done! :smiley2: