Italeri 1/35 US Infantry on Board LSA

dmorrissette

Now I feel dumb. I bought a second LCVP that included the 25 troops last year from Ebay. It was a good price but not as good as just buying the troops only for $35 for the LCVP I already had. But this is good because I can buy another set or two to populate my currently built LCVP or for my LCM. Now if Italeri would make a combat set of figures for the PT-109 model that would be great too.

Not really anything about the set itself--but just some thoughts on the front opening landing craft. Did the guys on the front row have to do something wrong to be up there or were they just the lowest ranked? As soon as that door lowered, and if a machine gun had the boat lined up, their survival rate had to be very low. They were also the first ones to find out of the boat stopped too far out. Finally, I wonder if anybody considered giving the guys in front shields they could carry to at least protect them getting off the boat and provide some initial protection on the open beach (probably if it was thick enough to be decent protection--it would too heavy to carry (at least in the pre-kevlar era)). I know the survival rate for the initial waves of a landing was expected to be very low. That took real guts to do that and we owe them so much for being willing to do that. That is one of the reasons why I am happy Italeri have made some decent LCVP, LCM, and Amtrac models that make it possible to build a collection of landing craft. Keep 'em coming.

Good questions Larry. I imagine they had too much gear as it was, given the numerous stories of guys drowning. (Would be cool if a shield could also be a personal floatation device, but that takes room and adds weight.) Many of these craft never made it all the way to the beach, given sandbars or damage/sinking by enemy fire. Dudes in the front were probably the leaders in most cases. That's how ya do it. 'Fraid that's just war; the 'hell' analogy certainly fits. Nothing but respect here, if not awe.