Track Painting for Arctic Vehicles

Richard

I'm currently working on the Panda 2S6M Tunguska and I'm going to do an arctic camo job on it.

What I'm wondering is, what would be the best way to handle the tracks? It's not like they'd pick up mud up near the Arctic Circle or would they?

TIA

Richard,

It depends, if the vehicle is moving around on ground that the snow & ice can be churned up and the tracks can get to the earth then a lot of mud would be on the tracks, road wheels,& underbody. If it is going across just the snow and ice then the tracks would be pretty clean except for the snow and ice it picks up in the treads and some on the road wheels.

Edited by 802chrisg

Am I wrong when I suggest that while the Antarctic may have earth underneath the snow and ice, the only thing under the white stuff in the Arctic (on the polar pack) is water. So I guess the question is, is the scene on the ice pack or like in Siberia, Alaska, or an actual land mass?

Also depends on the season. In winter the ground is frozen and like concrete, but in the summer can get soft and churned up.

I've seen photos of a (T-62 ?) that had been running through ice and snow - no contact with dirt - and the tracks were a dull polished metal.

If you look at this image that I am using on a current build, you can see one half is very clean and the other is clean with a little packed snow. It all depends on what portion of the snow/ice covered road it was driving on. pzIIIausfJ-front.jpg

It sounds like maybe I ought to split the difference...a little mud and dirt; but don't go crazy with it. :)

Thanks for the info, everyone.