1/48 B-47E Stratojet is DONE!

ghodges

For those not following the full build (in its own topic below), this is the old ID vac kit (not the newer Tigger/Sanger kit).

001_2.jpg

003_2.jpg

007_1.jpg

011_1.jpg

012_1.jpg

014_1.jpg

016_1.jpg

017.jpg

019_1.jpg

020.jpg

015_1.jpg

It's really a good feeling to have this one done! I feel like I won the battle (got it completed) while losing the war (build a contest quality model). There's just too many little nicks, scratches, paint splotches, and slight misalignments that would knock it out of most IPMS contests. For that reason, I'm not going to bother with those hundred or so vortex generators on the wings; nor add any position lights! wink.gif On the bright side, everything you see out side of the basic airframe is either scratch built, spare parts, or highly modified spare parts, and I feel good about that.

The markings do not strictly represent any particular bomb wing, but are very representative of one of the typical schemes seen on the B-47E.

If you haven't been following the full build, you can see it in its topic below. Question, comments, and critiques are more than welcome! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

Looks great Gil.

OK, now what do you do to top this! Outstanding work and tenacity. It would have dented a wall in my basement weeks ago on a "test flight".

(Where's the little JImmy Stewart figure?)

Looks really great Gil. I love the interior work on the wheel wells. As far as I'm concerned, it is a great contest-quality build. Take it along and enjoy the comments from people. It must be impressive in size.

LOVE it! Now, does it fit in your new case?

That is one impressive build, even with what you consider blemishes. Congratulations on another job well done. and thanks again for the tutorial on how you tamed this beast.

Bill

Had to buy another shelf, but YES! It fits easily with room to spare for 2-3 more beside it! :smiley20:

001.jpg

By the way, The PBY, Skyraider, P-3C, and B-45 are all 1/48, while everything to their left (the T-28C, FJ-4 Fury, Tony, F4B-4, and the P-38) are 1/32 scale. Evrything on the upper left shelf is 1/48 except for the 1/144 Boeing 727. There's still room for at least 5-7 more shelves in the case, so I should be set for some years to come, and can build all of my Monogram 1/48 bombers again!

Gil, were the wheels vacuform or out of the spares box? I just noticed how detailed the hubs were for the mains and the outriggers. Just wondering.

Bill

The outrigger tires are from the spares box, and I honestly cannot remember what kit they may have come from. The main tires and wheels, however, are actually Aires resin "Wheeliant" brand 1/32 F-14 Tomcat tires and wheels!

As I searched what I had in the spares box and on the shelf that was close in diameter and profile to the 1/48 scale drawings, it was those 1/32 resin F-14 tires and wheels that best matched the 1/48 drawings! The only mods I had to make were to adjust the inner wheels to accept the brass tubing axles, sand off the prominent raised lettering on the sides of the tires, and add a metal cross strip over each outer wheel rim to match the look of the B-47 rims. I also chose to sand a flat spot on each to show the weight of the a/c.

I'm a firm believer in never throwing anything away from a kit, and salvaging everything possible when an old model breaks. You can't have enough spare parts! As for having those resin F-14 tires on hand (and having to buy a second set), I view that as a simple blessing from the Lord! Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Gill, over the past five years I have watched your builds come to life. This has got to be one of the two that have inspired me to continue on building, the other one you haven't built yet.

Just beautiful. Looking for a suitable superlative, sans the implied profanity of certain e-acronyms. So I'll just quote Bill the Cat: "Akkkkkppppfffffftttt....!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have waited this long to respond as it took me this long to try and find the words to express my sheer awe at such an incredible model. I still couldn't find those words, so I'll echo Bob's "Bill the Cat" comment: "Akkkkkppppfffffftttt....!!!""

• 2 weeks later...

If there's something wrong I can't see it from here bud! That thing looks like a monster in size and there's lots of eye candy regarding detail. emotion-21.gif