Liquid cement technique to lower raised detail?

dmjung

I'm looking at a Dragon Iron Man Starboost kit in 1/9th scale. (#38326)

There are literally hundreds of 2mm hex shapes on a dozen or so parts and mainly are on non-flat surfaces. These are molded with a raised outline for the hex patterns.

Based on the box art and common sense (or my preference, take your pick), these hexes should have a fine engraved outline.

Sanding and scribing is not an option...I'd like to actually finish the kit and keep my sanity.

So...I am vaguely remembering from the 70's a technique for sanding raised panel lines down and then painting liquid cement (plastiweld? Testors?) on the surface. The raised part sanded down would "melt" different than the non raised part and thus create a slightly lowered line.

Does anyone else remember this and does it work or am I hallucinating a wishful dream? It does look like there's an unseen area to test this out.

Any other ideas on how to tackle a gazzilion 2mm hexes? A 2mm punch and put down a few hundred tiles? :)

--David

Edited by dmjung

Not hallucinating, I still do it on occasion. However, the detail does not sink in, it slightly rises, sort of like wood grain when it gets wet. It would be a way of lessening the impact, but I don't think it would be indented/engraved. Would be interested to know why it does this.

Looking at the embossed tile sheets that the doll house folks use...some are promising, but tiles are a bit too big so far. I've found 1/4", but shooting for 1/8".

Maybe I should learn how to photo-etch? Do just a bare outline of hexes onto the sheet?

--David

Edited by dmjung

18 Colors Nail Art Tips 2mm Big Hexagon Glitter Set. :) For less than $5 delivered I'll roll the dice. Will be a little tedious laying them down, but way easier than scribing. Probably not enough of one color to do something interesting with a translucent overcoat.

--David