Funny red-ish wire used to superdetail

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

I keep seeing modelers who use this red-ish thin tire for cables, railing, and other surface detail. The material appears to hold its shape really well and looks easy to work with, given its prevalence among super detailers.

What is it? I'd kill to use the stuff on my builds.

I keep seeing modelers who use this red-ish thin tire for cables, railing, and other surface detail. The material appears to hold its shape really well and looks easy to work with, given its prevalence among super detailers.

What is it? I'd kill to use the stuff on my builds.

Me, too.

Although I can't recall the name (the Detailer?), there's a automotive modeling vendor who sells wire in various colors and gauges. The car guys use the yellow, blue, and red wiring for ignition stuff, and the black for cables and hoses. He also has braided hose in a few sizes I believe. This sounds like what you're describing to me.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil is thinking of Detail Master.

Check their site to see if this is what you are looking for:

http://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=e1572996714a41f0a774f8ad72eec9f8&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=detailmaster&Category_Code=DM-DW

Scale Motorsport also has a selection of wire:

http://store.scalemotorsport.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SM&Category_Code=9

And, I second Don on the wire sold by Radio Shack.

The following tips are from David Goudie, via email:

You can buy lengths of telephone wire and strip off the insulation. Cheap and easy. Also speaker wire comes in multiple strands that can be stripped. Not to mention electrical “zip” cords use for repairing lamps. Failed computer cords are a good source of really fine wires also. USB cords or broken I-Pod connecting wires come to mind and I have stripped wire from them too. Very fine stuff!

:smiley16:

far from an expert.. but i asked the same question on a model car forum...the wire i used to make spark plug cable was to large and not the correct scale. i used telephone wire (26 gauge).... it should be 31 or 32 gauge... closest i found was 30 gauge in red and blue at radio shack. 50' for 5.49 works perfect

Side note.... i looked online to find a source and radio shack showed it carried 30 gauge...went into a local store and asked for it and was told they did not carry that small of a gauge...i took a walk around the store and found 3 spools of the 30 gauge on a wall by the wire and soldering equipment....went up front to check out and told the clerk he did indeed have it and it was in stock. he just looked at me and rang it up..no wonder they are going out of business.

Edited by Bubbajoe

• 6 months later...

I found some 40 gauge wire that is lacquer coated that is used for speaker coils. I can't remember where I bought it from. When I remember I will post the site. You can get similar very thin wire from an old electric motor from the the armature windings. These can be found in anything with an electric motor such as old tape recorders and VCRs.

Ken

• 2 months later...

I used to use the old telephone wire. Pull off all the plastic covering and the wire is very small.

But a better product(s) I found was very thing lead wire used for fishing.

Bought a number of the smallest sizes (I build in 1/72) from Bass Pro Shop -

http://www.basspro.com/Round-Lead-Wire-Spools/product/3038/

HTH

I think the reddish fine wire is motor winding wire. I was given one from an electronics pal. The spool has quite a bit of wire on it; should last a lifetime. I think I saw some at Fry's.

If you've been building models long enough, no doubt you remember the AMT airplane kits that had a "wind it yourself" electric motor. The kit came with a form for the armature and a spool of wire, you were to wrap the armature with the wire. I have no idea if anyone ever got those motors to work, but the wire was ideal for superdetailing, especially when the cause called for a very fine wire or line. I still have the majority of a spool I got with their Corsair in 1977...