Pegasus V-1 dimensions

dmjung

I'm trying to get this Pegasus 1/18 V-1 Flying Bomb wrestled to the ground and suspect there is at least one dimensional problem in the tail area. The vertical stab and rudder appear way too thick--thicker than the front pulse jet support which may be too thin. I have not been able to find any pertinent dimensions for the V-1 (or even the Loon)--surely someone, somewhere has actually measured one of these things for other than total length and wingspan.

I'm tinkering with photographs and video scrounged off the internet to try and scale something off a known dimension.

I have several books on the V-1.

I've ordered a 1/35 Bronco V-1 just for comparison. Hopefully they didn't phone it in.

I have strong google-fu skills, but I might have missed something. Any other ideas? Sources?

--David

Hi David, Here is the info on the V-1 that you asked for.

Front Engine Mount Strut. This strut is about 5 inches wide. On the picture below, you will note that there is a fine center-line seam on the fuselage and a reinforcement to the left of it. I measured from the reinforcement to the edge of the strut and to the center-line. It calculates to about 5 inches.

V-1_Front_strut.jpg

Rear Fin and Rudder. The fin is about 2 1/2 inches wide and is the widest just before the rudder. Note the photo below. Also, note the opening at the rear of the fuselage. I assume that this is for drainage.

V-1_Rear_fin.jpg

Hope this helps.

Clare...you're the man!!!!

The "reinforcement strap" on the fuselage is a wiring tunnel and fairly common on rockets. The Pegasus kit has a strange triangular shaped strip instead of rectangular-ish.

I believe the opening at the rear was for a radio tracking antenna that a number of V-1's had fitted so the Germans could get some idea of where they were landing. The kit also has this opening wrong--completely omitted.

What I thought was going to be a quick easy build is slowing turning into a nightmare. :)

Thank you for your time, very much appreciated.

--David

Glad I could help. Yes, I suspected that it might have been a wiring tunnel, I just wanted to be sure that you knew what I was talking about. With regard to the opening at the rear of the fuselage, it just looked like the end of the fuselage had simply been cut away. Here is a better photo of the opening (I took it because I had not noticed this before).

V-1_Fuselage_rear.jpg

Now you can add some structure inside the rear of the fuselage. :smiley16: :smiley16: Just kidding but I know some people who might try it.

OK, I've done a few back of napkin computations using Clare's measurements and I have good/bad news.

Fortunately, the front support is fairly close, maybe 1/2" scale too thin.

The stabilizer isn't as bad as I thought, maybe 3/4" scale too thick although I think the cross-section shape is dubious.

So why does it look wrong to me? There's not enough room to build in a proper rudder actuator rod.

So, apparently the tail end of the Pegasus kit tapers too quickly which made the stab/rudder look too thick. I've guestimated the open tail end area of the fuselage to have a diameter of around 8.7". The kit scales to about 2" here.

I'm going to take a picture of the kit tail and try to overlay it against some pictures to see if I want to take this any further. :(

--David