Preorder Tamiya 300 SL

PeteJ

Wow, I just preordered the 300 SL from Hobby Link and they are listing the price at $28.60 US Dollars! I don't recall the last time I could get a full monte Tamiya kit for under $50. At this price, I would bet the kits will sell out in a hurry. If you are interested here is the link. http://www.hlj.com/product/tam24338

It will be interesting to see if that price holds for you Pete.

Tamiya USA has the kit listed @ $71.00 and Tower Hobbies is selling it just north of $50.00.

I know that the exchange rate (USDJPY) has been a little hairy lately but I find it hard to believe that the price listed by HLJ is correct.

If it holds, great score for you...

Do the doors work on the kit? Does it have an engine? Hi BTW. :)

Hi Kevin - Yes, it is a full detail kit with space frame, engine, working doors and hood. Really looks like a killer kit.

It will be interesting to see if that price holds for you Pete.

Tamiya USA has the kit listed @ $71.00 and Tower Hobbies is selling it just north of $50.00.

I know that the exchange rate (USDJPY) has been a little hairy lately but I find it hard to believe that the price listed by HLJ is correct.

If it holds, great score for you...

They are selling them for 33,600 yen and that price is locked in in yen. When they charge my credit card that is what is charged in yen. Then the only variable is the exchange rate on the day of the transaction plus bank transaction fees and shipping costs. The good thing about HLJ is that they give you a preorder discount, which no hobby store over here does so even if the Yen goes nuts, which is not likely, I am still way ahead.

As an aside, they generally have a fixed number of models that they have ordered and if they get to that then they stop taking orders. This often happens with hot items and I would bet this will happen fairly quickly, so if you want one, I would not wait to long to jump.

By the way, if you have not dealt with HLJ before, I have been buying stuff from them for over 15 years and they have always met or exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I've dealt with HLJ for many years. I guess I'm just having difficulty rectifying the immense cost difference but that is for another forum.

I will say that HLJ, as of last evening, only had 12 total car kits in stock (across 1/20 and 1/24) so many modellers must be taking advantage of the JPY currency devaluation.

I know that Hiroboy hasn't even listed the kit yet. Their other Tamiya kit prices match what most LHS and US mail order sites sell Tamiya kits for.

Unrelated: I've seen your past 1/12th scale builds. Any plans on purchasing one of those Model Factory Hiro 1/12th scale 956 monsters?

Take care...

On your side note, no I'm not really interested in the 956 at this point. I have several other projects that I need to get off my bench before I tackle a long term build. I am actually more interested in the GTO from MFH. I always loved the look of the GTO and the Cobra Daytona. Very similar look but very different engineering approach. I would be nice I MFH did a Cobra Daytona.

• 1 month later...

Just got notification that HLJ shipped my order. Under $80 for two kits including shipping FedEx from Japan. Real deal. For the doubters, HLJ has always been a very upfront company and I have literally ordered thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them over the last 15 years and never, repeat never had an issue.

Edited by PeteJ

My kits arrived yesterday.... Spectacular!!!!

Gonna do a red one, a silver one, and a racing white one.

These are the 1/32 Birdcage Corsairs of the car modeling world.

• Like 1

I got mine yesterday afternoon. These are going to be a hot seller for Tamiya! Hobby link is sold out already.

Edited by PeteJ

This kit is retailing at about £35.00 here in the UK. Maybe Tamiya;s pricing policy has changed. Their Aston was around the £50.00 mark.

I expect that as Revell Germany's kits are on a par with Tamiya stuff and were about half the price, so they needed to get competitive.

Nice choice of kit this time around.

Could never understand Tamiya's thinking when they released a Citroen 2CV Fougonette. A bit like a corrugated iron estate car. Seems a bit of a weird subject considering the costs of tooling it up.